Chapter 20

12 March 2025 (nighttime)

Kai's POV continued...

I quickly rushed out the room and found a corner to hide in. I could hear footsteps approaching the door. It was relatively dark in this place making it hard to depict who or what was moving, not only the sound of heels hitting the wooden tiles gave me the hint, but also the sweet and familiar strawberry scent was a give away on who it was. She was here.

Each step she took, was one towards her downfall. One towards her and her husband's demise. I could feel myself getting excited but I told myself not to lose sight as we were almost there. For Her. For Muquin (mother)

She had finally reached the door and opened it, leaving a creaking sound behind. She was greeted with the surprise I had left for her. All I could hear was screaming on her part as one of the men closed the door from behind her.

(Erik van Tanders wife's Pov)

"Nee!Nee!Nee!" (No!No!No!) "my man. Baby praat met my. Sê vir my dit is alles 'n leuen. praat asseblief my liefie, ek het jou nodig..." (my husband. Baby speak to me. Tell me this is all a lie. speak please my love, i need you...) I fell down on my knees infront of what was left of my husband, crying and screaming, wishing this was all a terrible nightmare but the longer I stayed here the more I came to the realization that it was all true. I should've listened to him. God why...

I stood up trying to regain my composure. Wiping away my tears and thinking clearly about what I should do next. I looked around seen a note on my deceased husband, so I read it:

𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓪 𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓶𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓽 𝓱𝓪𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝔀𝓪𝔂 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓱𝓾𝓼𝓫𝓪𝓷𝓭. 𝔂𝓸𝓾'𝓵𝓵 𝓳𝓸𝓲𝓷 𝓱𝓲𝓶 𝓼𝓸𝓸𝓷 𝓼𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮'𝓼 𝓷𝓸 𝓷𝓮𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓫𝓮 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓼𝓪𝓭.
𝓹𝓼. 𝓪𝓿𝓸𝓲𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓮𝓼 𝓶𝓮𝓿𝓻𝓸𝓾 . 𝓲 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓭 𝓲𝓽 𝓫𝓾𝓻𝓷𝓼
𝔁𝓸𝔁𝓸🔪

No it was a trap. I turned around rushing for the door but it was locked. Hoekom (why)
I banged on the door, yelling in hopes that someone would save me. Not long after I could smell the smoke accompanied by the visible burning orange flames.

"Someone help me. Asseblief." (Please). "I don't deserve to die please." I continued yelling but it was all in vain. I ran towards my husband, holding onto what was still left of him. The air got thicker and thicker. I couldn't see anything except for the flames approaching us. I took in my last breath. "dit het regtig so geëindig my liefie. Selfs deur die dood is dit steeds ek en jy..." (it really ended like this my love. Even through death it's still You and I...)

Back Kai's POV...

I stood infront of the burning building, enjoying the view. The tired screams for help had lessened overtime. They had taken care of the man driving the vehicle. We got rid of all the evidence, and because this was in the middle of nowhere there was a almost zero probability that someone would end up finding everything- or shall I say nobody.

We drove to our safe house to get cleaned up of anything and everything. We cannot afford slip ups, so we had to make sure we are doing everything properly. Wouldn't want there to be more deaths. Would we now?

Afterwards I drove back home satisfied with how the mission had gone. Finally I'll be able to rejoice and have peace. Goodnight to those demons that drove me insane every night til today. When I pulled up in my driveway there was an unfamiliar car parked infront. Assuming it might be Ling spending money on cars I dismissed it all.