Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Streaks of sunlight fell over my face and my eyes opened. My arms stretched over the bed before I rose up and headed to the washroom. It was the morning of the next day. I had spent the entire night tossing and turning as nightmares consumed my subconscious. My mind was filled with terrible thoughts which resulted in nightmares that were far worse.

After splattering some warm water over my face, I wiped my face dry clean before staring at the reflection. It showed nothing but me. I ran my finger down the scar on my cheek, it was still inches deep, never healing. My face carried the trauma my father put me and my mother through.

It was never going to go away.

Less than an hour later, I was outside the house, with Elijah. My feet brushed over the grass, and the smell of fresh air dived into my nose. I inhaled deeply, missing being outside in the wild. It had been a few days since I hadn't, and it killed me.

My head rose and the sun above blinded me. It was bright, brighter than yesterday. The slight warmth it provided spread around me and I smiled to myself.

Elijah agreed to teach me other forms of magic which didn't involve the spirits and in return, I was going to take the help of the spirits and find a way to break the curse. It was a safe agreement. Neither of us were going to tear the other's head.

This way, I could finally learn magic as one was supposed to—in the right way. And he could get what he wanted in return.

"You did something when Callan came here the day earlier. The skies were darker and the sun was hidden. What did you do?" I asked him as the memory surfaced. It kept me on the edge. How could one shift the day?

"Used elemental magic," He responded while crouching over the grass.

The grass in the garden was a few inches long. It wavered with the wind along with the bushes and the trees that were behind the house. There was nothing else nearby, just empty lands and outlines of mountains a large distance away. I couldn't even hear anyone else.

Not a single soul.

It was north of Vragus. No one came here as it was rumored to be filled with treacherous witches and other creatures one never wanted to see. Far in the mountains, abandoned covens and packs were settled. It was the only place where Alexandria's rule didn't reach. They didn't take her as the queen, but rather as a poisonous woman they wanted to destroy.

"Nature contains all the magic one ever needs. You just need to know how to use it." He continued.

I reached closer to him and narrowed my head. As his fingers splayed over the grass, the dark, black veins on his hand throbbed as he soaked in the magic found underneath the grass and dirt.

A moment later, a cold wind drifted behind me and I shivered. The bright sun disappeared behind the clouds and it became dark. I held back my gasp of surprise as the weather above changed entirely. I moved a few steps forward while a smile widened over my face.

Elijah moved his hand away from the grass and in a matter of a few seconds, the skies shifted again. Dusting his hands, he rose up from the ground and his eyes leveled with mine.

"Magic comes from the depths of hell, every kind of it. There's nothing pure or sane about it. Whether it's black magic, ceremonial, or even elemental. Every kind of magic, whether it brings harm or not, is from hell. We are not meant to hold such power that can shift realities, create chaos or breed creatures like werewolves." He explained to me.

He sat down on the grass and I sat the opposite him. Folding my legs underneath, I thought about what he said.

Werewolves were an outcome of ancient magic used by a powerful witch. Night eaters were created by a man who practiced witchcraft, and when his wife died in a cruel battle, he revived her and bonded her soul with blood, letting her live forever for as long as she had blood in her system.