8 - WAGING WAR

Song for the Chapter: Yet, Maverick City Music

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Everything was moving in a fast blur, and Violet was not sure she had worked so much in her entire life

Sure, she had been raised as a Princess, but, she had been trained to like the mundane.

But this was on a different level. Ginevra's fiancé was coming for a visit, and, "Presto" (Quick) was the theme for the evening.

Even the guards were hard at work. Queen Guilia wanted everything bright and sparkling—with meals enough to feed a century.

She, of course, was to take part in all the preparations. But, her back ached from all the efforts they had put in to get everything to perfezione (perfection).

She could not wait till the day was over and curl up under her warm covers.

But, as everything was as ready as it could possibly be, she noticed a slight change in Clarice's gait. She had noticed her moving slower than usual earlier that day and it seemed to have magnified.

She had questioned her severally to find out if she was okay. The woman was tough, but, she was not invincible.

"Violet, dear..." she noted the weakness in her voice. "I think I have to take a break after all this is over. Can you serve il Principi (the Prince) for me when he arrives? I fear I can only go this far."

Violet almost groaned. The housework and meal preparations had been quite an ordeal. And she did not mind helping Clarice. But, she found herself loathing another encounter with Mr Icy.

At this moment, I think I would rather face a firing squad. Why doesn't a household this large have more people to serve?

Remember Whom you actually serve, an Inner Voice gently reminded her.