Newbie

Been a while...here you go!

*******************************************************************

"My goodness! Poor kitty is starving!" Mrs. Crow was distraught with this poor cat's health and state, thought she should be filling some paperwork right now, and was nice enough to refill a fresh bowl of tuna and salmon for this beat-up cat a second time "My dear, where did you find this beautiful kitty from?"

The one who saved the cat, running like their life depended on it, was finding some medicine for numbing the pain. Anything that was animal safe that is. By the time you find the same container of edible fish-flavored cat pills, you find the cat in the arms of your lovely boss. It was purring loudly as Mrs.Crow gave it unlimited pets and kisses. Loving the affection given to it by the kindred elderly woman.

A small smile was on your face at the sight "Accidentally found them on the way here." sorta a lie but truth, not long force the pill down the cats throat to which hiss at you a second after, not long set it on the ground to return to their food "I'm sorry I ran in here like that..."

"You are completely find dear! I would possible react the same way if I found an animal in need of help. And look at her! All bones and no meat to keep her warm this upcoming winter.."

"Her?When did you..?"

"I didn't checked love. The way she walks speaks volumes."

Before you could witness the cat walk the tingles of sheer pain return. You never accepted that sicko yet nor meet eye-to-eye either. If you had to describe the pain it would be like walking bear foot on scorching coals, stones, and glass. From there it would spread upward, expanding throughout your limbs and possibly vital organs. It fucking hurts. Imagine not accepting all the others that day, so many at one time, would you be even alive after that? No. You would be sent six hundred feet under.

Mrs. Crow frowns at her dear employees discomfort, not knowing much of their life either to help, place a gentle hand on your shoulder, a soft tone of concern covered her sweet happy voice "(Y/N)? My dear? Are you unwell?"

Not to push her away so rudely the pain was covered in a sweet smile "Tis a headache and, well, a one monthly check up."

Mrs.Crow nods, rushing pass you to find some medicine. By the time she came back in her hand was some pills and a cup of water.

"This should do."

Once she gave the medicine to you did she return to work. The pills were taking their dear time...

Meanwhile, Mrs.Crow tends to the customers at front. It was never as busy yet was stabile as ever. She served hot coffee, baked goods, and candy to every customers table. She loved her job. That was till an all to familiar ring user comes in. Sitting at the bar. The moment she turns to tend to the new customer did she hault, the man smiling his normal smug charming smile, not long rub her temple in frustration.

"I said no Hale."

"I know but all those were sent text. I thought I should pop in and ask face-to-face." Hale Jordan, otherly known as The Green Lantern, frowns a bit as Mrs.Crow denies his tenth offer this week.

Hale wasn't giving up, nor was Mrs. Crow letting him persuade her.

"Your one of the best out there! I mean, love the business and splendid coffee, but we need you out there."

"Hale I'm an old lady. I may be one of the many chosen but I made a simple life here, and with this ring, it still didn't chosen another to replace me. I fought my wars and made peace tenfold yet it is time for another to take my place."

"How about your kids?"

"They are independent adults as well as Blue Lanterns. This day marks their seven months of departure. They send me letters and hologram chats every week."

"...how about your husband?"

Silenced filled the void. Hale soon regrets asking that question. Mrs.Crow on the other hand sighs, pulling out her ring, just to stare down at it with uncertainty. Memories of her past popping into her mind one by one..

"I wish for it to pick another. Someone they can fight in my place. Keep balance and save those who can't fight for themselves."

Hale sips his coffee, thinking about what to do now, agrees with her "That person will be great. Be that they are human or not, I believe they will become something great-."

Neither was ready. The ring glowed the brightest neon color it has ever had over eighty years. The ex-lantern and Green Lantern eyes widen as it came to life, floating out of Mrs.Crows hands, not long flys away to their destined user. Out of all the people in the restaurant no one was chosen. The two watch as it paused, thinking about something, before it zooms towards the employee lounge. The two didn't waste a second to follow. By the time the two made it the room was filled with green light. Once it dimmed did both of them find the ring on another's hand, choosing the destined user to replace Mrs.Crow, suited up in the classic Green Lantern suite. Bewildered and in shock.

"(Y/N)?"

The newbie Green Lantern turns their head, spying both Hale and Mrs.Crow, not sure of what is happening "Y-Yeah?"

The ring chosen the new green lantern; You. Green Lantern (Y/N) (L/N) of the Green Lantern Core.

Hale comes up, not in a creepy way, to help the newbie not fly off by accident. Mrs.Crow wasn't sure how to respond. Her ring chosen her high school employee? A young adult that is still considered as a child? The ring that was hers for so long was on their ring finger. The once pulsing power of will that flowed through her was now in (Y/N). She was now permanently a normal human being..

"Relax. I got you okay? Just breathe."

Hale did all he could to help the newbie to calm down. It took some time but was worth it. Not long the power of the ring fades away, there stood the normal human being. The one that was chosen to take Mrs.Crows place in the war.

(Y/N) looks down to the ring, which chosen her, confused "...what in the living hell is this thing?"

"Not a thing. I have one too." Hale pulls out his ring, both resembling each other, then puts in back into his pocket "That ring is a Green Lantern ring. You were chosen as it's next user."

This confused (Y/N) more "Chosen? Why me?" 

"It chose you because of your will."

Both boss and employee stare at each other. One confuzzled and lost and the other accepting the choice of the ring and uncertain of what follows.

"My...will?"

Mrs. Crow nods, stepping closer to face the newbie "Yes. The user doesn't choose the person, the ring choses the user. Your will must be strong so that is why it chose you." the smile she had fades, reality kicking in for her now as we speak "That ring chose me actually, been mine for so long, and I get to live long enough to see it pick another. I'm...I'm proud that it chosen you dear."

The cat mews up to Mrs. Crow. Not long comforts her as Hale takes over, ready to teach the newbie that once was an ordinary human being.

"How about me and you grab some coffee? We got some things to go over."

The new Green Lantern nods. Not long follows them to another cafe away from Mrs.Crow. And in the first time in forever, the cafe closed earlier then needed.