CHAPTER 9: NB- Always keep one eye open.

ODESSA

"What?" My mouth is filled with donut so the question is muffled.

"Not like a date." Liam laughs.

I'm glad he finds the idea of a date with me very funny. I'm laughing loudly inside too, I swear.

I put the donut down and wash down the rest with a milkshake as he rubs the back of his neck and waits for me to compose myself.

"I meant it as a thank you." He clarifies, "I know you won't accept a gift and I can't cook for shit. Please let me buy you a hotdog or something," he hands me his phone.

I look at the screen and the keypad is in view.

No, he wants my number too?

"Liam, you really don't have to do this." I shake my head.

Please don't do this, is what I really mean. I'll even take a gift instead, who doesn't like receiving gifts?

"You have no idea how much you helped me last night. Please let me make it up to you and apologize again for this catfish mess."

Queue the gut-wrenching guilt. I am convinced now I will never really kick it as long he is around and talking to me.

"Come on Vecker, its just food." He pops a smile.

I get the same feeling I got last night when he was pouring his heart out to me. To make matters worse he says "please" and gives the puppy dog eyes that won't normally work but the guilt is too much.

Shit.

"It's not a date?" I double check and only type in my new number after he nods.

It's probably not smart thing to do but it's the least I can do after ghosting him and lying about everything.

"Do you need me to drop you off?" I resume eating to distract myself.

Wait—did I just offer to be in a closed space with the guy I am lying to?

Wow...maybe I am stupid.

"No, John B is dropping off America in a minute so I'll be catching a ride with him." He looks up from the screen, "you're watching Big Bang again?"

A change of subject—yay!

"Yeah, it's been a tough few weeks for me so I'm behind." I play with the remote, "are—are you okay?"

His eyes move from the Tv screen to me as I hesitate to continue. Just rip the band aid off Vecker and get it over with.

"You said some things last night and—" I want you to know that I am the one who's sorry.

I wish I could say the last part out loud because Liam doesn't deserve to feel like he lost someone. He doesn't deserve to question if our friendship was real because it was.

From every picture to every message and text. And even though he doesn't know it, I do miss him too...surprisingly so.

"I'm better than I was last night," he says more to himself than me. "It seems a good night sleep with a stuffed pig is all I needed."

"Good to know Mr. Pigs did his job."

We are both laughing about my only and favorite stuffed animal when the door flies open.

"I love Valentines!" America walks in holding a bouquet of pink roses. "Oh hello...Liam?" She adds when she sees him stand up.

"Bye," he smiles and takes his exit.