CHAPTER 31: When in doubt, drink!

ODESSA

The moment Liam and I are done dancing and I excuse myself for the bathroom, they pounce.

I return to find him surrounded by men in suits, I look for reinforcements but in every corner John B, Tommy and JJ are surrounded too. Coach Carter was right, they don't even see people anymore. They just see dollar signs holding basketballs.

A waiter puts a tray next to me and I'm about to decline till I see a soda glass on it. I should really slow down with the vodka but this is a crap night.

First the horrible food. Then the awkward dance with Liam, now vultures in suits that I don't even know how to intercept.

That fight—honestly breakup—with Liam really made me lose my mojo.

"Please keep them coming," I tell the waiter and he gives me a flirty wink.

Another thing Liam can add to his dumb list, I'm a flower dipped drunk who is no help when he's being ambushed.

I know I said I am over it but the thing is, I don't think I am—or will be for a while.

I've been numb all weekend and the last 2 days we weren't in contact but being around him has unjumbled me. Now everything hurts all over again, I remember every single thing on that list and part of me wants him to suffer a bit for it.

"Odessa?" The person that calls me pronounces my name perfectly. I turn around and nearly drop the glass in my hands.

"Dr Hidalgo?"

"So it is you." He beams and walks straight to me. "You look like you were dipped in a pot of daisies."

"And you look like you're physically here making a crap night worse." I say under my breath as he comes closer. "Hi," I kiss his cheek in greeting and he returns the sentiment. "How have you been?"

I'm still hoping this is not really happening and it's just the vodka 'soda' making me hallucinate.

"Well, I just returned from Brown and I saw Chico."

"How is he? We haven't talked in a while," I really miss him.

"Still won't change to medicine," we both laugh. "But it will be handy to have a lawyer in the family considering...well you know."

Yeah, our family 'businesses' really require a good legal team.

"I do." My smile is painful, "but I'm glad to hear you are well Dr Hidalgo," now walk away please.

"Enough about me." He takes a long look at me and smiles like a proud parent.

Please don't ask.

Please don't ask.

"What are you doing at a private booster's dinner?"

Damn, he asked.

"What are you doing at a private booster's dinner?" Seriously, what the hell are you doing here?

"One of the boosters, Dr McKenna brought me as a plus one. She knows I'm into sports and I was in town for the night for a meeting so she insisted."

"That's good," queue a long sip. "Well I was asked to play—"

"Really?" He cuts me off and looks at Isiah. "I'm sorry, I missed it."

He genuinely seems upset he did which is understandable because the man is like family and my family loves to hear me play.

"It was an hour loop and—" I was too nervous to produce a potent performance so he didn't miss much.

"Vecker?" Of course Liam appears now, "I was waiting for you." He looks at Dr Hidalgo, "is everything okay?"