CHAPTER 11: Never judge a book's cover, they lie too

LIAM

"Okay what now?" Odessa says when I walk through the diner doors.

Her shift is over in 23 minutes, she's not that busy but the place still has a few customers.

"What do you mean?" I sit by the counter and she gets change from the register.

"Am I on suicide watch? I see you more than I see Jess and Mecca now," she puts the change in the bill book. "And I live with them Liam."

"I admit we've ran into each more—"

"You made me buy you lunch yesterday." She gives the other waiter the book. "What's really going on Griffith? Why are you in my face?"

"Damn Odie," I touch my chest. "You're a different person at work." I shake my head in mock disbelief.

"Liam..." she pops her hip clearly not in the mood for my shenanigans.

"Is it so bad that I'm here?" I pick up the laminated menu.

"Yes," she scoffs getting a glare from me. "Come on. Tell me why you're really here."

"If you must know, my dear Vecker. I plan on making you love me till you stalk me and force me to be your friend," she finally smiles.

There's my girl.

"Well, I'm glad you're here because Jessica took my car to go to an audition in Boston so I need a ride home." She's wiping the counter now.

"And I'll gladly give it to you if you accept the fact that we are indeed friends."

"How about a free slice of key lime pie and my real middle name instead?" I fake gasp because I knew she gave me the wrong one.

Olivia doesn't sound Russian at all.

"How about your real middle name, the pie, me giving you a ride home only if you admit we're friends because I'm here to tell you I'm dropping my catfish hunt."

"What?" She freezes mid-plating the slice, "are you really?"

I knew it would get a reaction.

"Yes. I thought why look for the copy when I have the original." I put down the menu, "so what do you say?"

I don't know why I'm nervous but I am and I hate it.

"Jessie, can you get my friend a fork as I attend table 4?" She puts a plate of pie in front of me with a smile.

"Of course." Jessie walks into the kitchen as my friend walks away. 

ODESSA

"So I need your help," Liam says.

We are on a bench in the quad. He caught me between classes and brought me frozen yoghurt so I guess we are...hanging out?

"Okay." I bite an Oreo.

"Olivia Fisher asked me on a date and since the last time I took a girl out she ended up walking in the rain in expensive shoes..."

"...ah memories." I sarcastically chime out.

"Smartass," he bumps my shoulder. "But I was wondering if you could suggest a place for the date," my smile falls.

He wants me to do what?

"Don't you have a house full of horned up teammates that can help?" I want to ask who Olivia is but it's none of my business.

"I do but I've never really had a female friend, I want to take advantage," he smiles proudly. "Now if I was taking you out, where would you want to go?"