Chapter 3

YOU

______________________

I checked the clock on the wall across from where I lay. The sun hadn't risen yet; presumably not many students would even be up late an hour as this one.

I grabbed my wand from beside my bedside, a safety precaution I had learned from my countless adventures last year. Putting some glasses on, I gingerly stepped out underneath my sheets and left the girl's dormitory with a robe in hand, making my way to the center of the common room. 

As I slipped on the outer garment, I heard a soft shuffling noise. It was too dark to see anything, hence the once-crackling fire place now distilled in time.

"Hello?" I whispered blurry eyed as I cast Lumos.  Although I knew it must've been another student, my heart couldn't help but race with apprehension and fear. The figure tried to slip away, but before it could react quick enough, I groaned, "Smithington? That you?"

The odds of yet again ending up in the same vicinity as Luke Smithington didn't seem highly unlikely, but definitely out of the ordinary. It seemed as if he was around me often.

"Look, I'm sorry," I breathed, shakily, deciding to come off strong and apologetic. I had to be tactical with my words; if not, I'd scare him off.

Yes, I'm referring to the Muggle, and not  a cat.

Luke finally spun towards me, hands up defensively. His blonde locks bounced off his sunken lids as his lips parted, as if to utter a curse, before closing. He swallowed hard, his adams apple bouncing in his long neck.

"I'm not some bad guy, you know," I added, trying to be friendlier than I truly was. "Did I upset you? I didn't mean to rush so fast with the tour. We'll pick up tomorrow, if that fancies your interest." Ploddingly and imploringly I searched Luke's gaze for a response, a reaction. His light eyes glistened in the faint light, now finally meeting my gaze.

"I'm looking way too far into this, aren't I?" I chuckled, trying to break the ice further. "Say, muggle, why are you up so early?"

My flickering wand's light suddenly fell as the, almost fully grown man, in front of me responded. His fingers trailed down to his pockets as I heard the soft rocking of his heel against the soft carpet. "I, I just, I couldn't sleep." He chirped as his heel rocking progressed into more of a rata -tat-tat dynamic.

"Understandably. You made it safe to the dormitory, I hope? It's not often our school gets a new sixth year. Let alone one who's a muggle." Genuinely speaking I scratched my scalp awkwardly. "I hope this whole magic thing doesn't scare you. I should've eased you more into the process, probably. Probably."

A soft grunt came from deep within Smithington's chest. "It's not all that bad, truly." A hint of emotion sparked his tongue, but not noticeable enough to consider strong dialect. "I'm excited to get a wand. To visit Hogsmaede for the first time."

"Yes, definitely," I chuckled as the torch lights on the walls around us suddenly lit. I was taken aback to see Luke only a few inches away from me, looking down softly. I blinked and it seemed as if what I'd seen wasn't even there. His body was now many inches from me, his face cold again. It must've been morning; the torches only came on at dawn.