Chapter 6 (Flashback)

FLASHBACK

5th Year

___________________

I looked at Ominis, thankful he was blind. I was glad he couldn't see the tears that stung my eyes, burning my waterline and agonizing my pride. It was pitiful, pathetic.

Ominis and I had met discreetly in the Undercroft after the turn of events with Sebastian. We need to talk. Urgently.

"Ominis—" I began, the shake in my voice obvious. My throat tightened, emotion gnawing my tongue raw. I walked closer towards him, our bodies a foot away from each other. He could no doubt hear my brittle breathing, my trembles radiating.

Ominis Gaunt stepped towards me. Tentatively, his shaky hands reached towards me. I felt his larger, applicable hands reaching at my sleeves, gingerly patting around my arm, up my arm. 

I was stiff.

His grip around my left wrist tightened. With his right hand he patted up my shoulder, pressing his two feverent fingers against my neck.

He held them there, a second shorter than desirable, before moving his right hand to my cheek, cupping it softly. His thumb gently rubbed my under eyes, and I could feel his body stiffen at the feel of tears.

"Love, you have tears in your eyes," he whispered. Even his cloudy, diluted, pale gaze was searching. He let his hand drop to the messy braid that ran down my shoulder, curling his finger around the tip before grabbing my back.

Love.

I didn't fight it. In fact, I needed it. I needed someone to hold me.

And this, this Gaunt, this boy I hardly knew, felt like the sole purpose to keep going.

Ominis threw his arms around me, pulling me closer, his grip on my back firm. I felt his shuddered breathing as he held me close, rubbing my back in reassuring gestures. I grabbed his back in response, or more so, his lower back, because it was only until now I realized he had a few inches on me.

"It's okay, it's okay," he cooed. My tears were hot against his chest, my face and tears burying my problems in the dirty school robes he wore. My balance faltered and he fell with me.

His knees were gutted in the ground, but my body was pressed against his, reliant, vulnerable. Sobs racked my body as he held me there.

How long had it been? Longer than a minute, must've been a few,  as I lay there, exposing everything I'd ever felt.

"I'm scared," I cried as I let out another hard sob. My body racked from the tension as Ominis pat my back. "W-we sent him aw-way, to Azk-k-kban. Nobody fucking deserves that. Nobody!" 

"He killed his Uncle."

"I fought with him. I should've listened to you, listened to what you had to say. Ominis, you were right, you were right the entire time."