5.) CALLEN

Guards nodded at me as I hurried down the halls. I was unsure what Jaxon wanted with that girl but I needed to make sure she didn't touch her. She was mine. Not his. And the way he looked at her that day... and last night when I smelt her scent on his. My grip tightened on the door handle, my knuckle turning white.

She was my mate, she had to be. The way she smelt, good god. And when she trembled in Jaxon's presence it made me want to crush his skull, my brother, my best friend. Crazy, I shook my head. Yesterday I  just wanted to take her into my arms and tell her it would all be okay. But it wouldn't. I knew that.

For some reason, Jaxon was infatuated with her. Jaxon didn't give any girl two shits, so this is rare. I can't risk *my girl* getting hurt. Even if Jaxon picked her and didn't just want to fuck her, many problems would arise. First of all me. Second, my parents would never allow it, neither me nor Jaxon. A prey with a predator. It's never happened before, there would be an uproar among the people. Plus, marriage among different animal descents is strictly banned, if broken the punishment is public execution. Can't risk that. Can't risk her.

That sweet girl. The perfect prey. Snow white locks, cute button nose, tiny as can be. That's why I need to get her out.

Jaxon isn't one for rules, but it wouldn't be his head on the chopping block. My parents would never risk their image, but they could care less about a darling, little prey.

I yanked open the massive doors and walked into my brother's office. He didn't bother turning, instead he looked out to his city. "Brother." He addressed me. I walked inside and rounded his desk, eyeing a dainty gold necklace with a small red scale. I gently picked it up and dangled it in front of my eye.

"Good morning, to you too brother." I looked up to his back and placed the necklace back onto the desk. Joining him at the massive window, I say," That must have hurt like a bitch." He laughed. A dragon scale was one of the most valuable things in the world. My brother was a shifter. There were only a few in the world that could still shift. Many shifters were world leaders, like my father and Jaxon.

"Do you think she will like it?" He said walking back to the desk and pocketing the necklace. White-hot anger flashed through me, I masked the anger quickly though. It wasn't a skill to learn overnight, but to grow up in the court you need to learn fast.

I opted to go for non-nonchalance, even though I knew exactly which girl it was for. "Which one?" I let out laugh. 

"If you don't know, come watch and find out." He turned on his heel and left for the door I followed him down the corridors, confused as to where he was going. My eyebrows raised in surprise when we arrived at the main dining hall, where most of the court ate their meals and visitors and ambassadors. I realized then what was about to happen and sighed knowing the outcome would not be good.

The dining hall when silenced when we entered. Abruptly everyone scrambled to stand to bow their heads. All eyes were on us, it would make anyone else uneasy but to us, it wasn't new. I waited by the door crossing my arms, schooled my features, and acted bored as Jaxon crossed the floor to where she stood. My eyes focus on her immediately taking in her appearance. She was in a tiny white sundress and she sat closest to a tall woman. She shrunk into the women's side and her shoulders tensed as Jaxon drew nearer.

When Jaxon stopped in front of her, I watched as her friend gave her a small nudge. She awkwardly tumbled into a horrible curtsy making my snort at her adorableness.  I was actually shocked when Jaxon cracked a small grin, I suppose so was everyone else when I heard some small gasps of surprise in the silent hall. He didn't say anything but stepped closer to her and leaned down. Pulling the necklace with his priceless scale out of his pocket. If the people weren't surprised before, they were sure surprised now.

Jaxon reached around her and clasped the necklace onto her neck. He leaned down to say something in her ear causing her to go from a sickly-looking pale to bright red, and with that he turned and stomped out of the dining hall with me trailing after.  As soon as the door such I heard the room go up in uproar.

"The King and Queen will not be happy," I say shaking my head.

"I  do not give a shit." With that he started down the open hallways, guards nodding to us as we went.

Following behind him to the training grounds, I broke the silence with a question that was killing me. "What did you say to her?" He threw his head back with booming laughter. He looked back and grinned at me.

"Have a lovely day, bunny."