|i. welcome home|

OLIVIA

OLIVIA

narrative, instagram

august 19th, 2023

Knock. Silence. Knock knock. Silence. Knock knock knock. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" Olivia called out, scrambling to fix her outfit and grab her purse. The knocking didn't stop. "Jesus, Monty, I said I'm coming." She swung the door open, being met with someone not named Montgomery Hansen.

"Not Monty." The woman smiled, holding a small bag of Ki-Kis on her side.

"Oh my god, Kate!" Olivia dropped her bag to the floor, jumping into Kate's arms. It was the first time since the end of the semester, more than three months ago, the two had seen each other.

"Hey, Liv." Kate smiled, placing her hands at the small of Olivia's back. It was safe to say they both missed each other.

"My god, I can't believe that you're here." Olivia pulled back slightly, her arms placed loosely on Kate's torso.

"Well, surprise." She smiled, pulling one arm back to present the future physical therapist with her gift. "And surprise. I remembered how you said you liked Ki-Kis, so I brought a few bags back from Croatia."

"No way!" Olivia hugged Kate again, clinging onto her body as the latter supported her head with a hand on the back of her neck. "Thank you, K."

K. The nickname made Kate's stomach go crazy. "Any time, Liv. Hey, if you're free, I'd love to catch up. It's been months."

"Oh, well, actually, Monty's taking me out."

Kate's eyebrows furrowed slightly. "Monty?"

"Yeah, uh...for our two month anniversary." And just like that, Kate was brought back down to Earth. The idyllic feeling had disappeared and was replaced with a 100 ton bolder compressing on her chest.

Kate was nearly speechless. "Oh."

"Yeah." The two stood in silence for longer than a moment. Kate was trying to build up the courage to say something else, anything else, but a car horn in the distance interrupted her thoughts. "That's probably Monty."

"Yeah, I'll walk you down." Kate did her best to smile, but really felt and looked empty. Olivia took notice, but opted not to say anything. Instead, she led the two downstairs to the front of the apartment complex. Montgomery sat still in her gray Jeep Wrangler, barely taking notice when Kate walked out with her girlfriend.

"Oh shit, welcome back, Martin." Kate walked up to the driver's side as Olivia walked around the back of the car and got into the passenger seat.

"Thanks Monty, it's good to see you." Kate gave her a small smile.

It was no secret that Montgomery and Kate had their issues. Montgomery was a forward on the Hawkeyes women's soccer team, so it wasn't unusual that the two had run into each other on several occasions. In fact, Kate had accidentally introduced them to each other once when she'd forced Olivia to go to the gym with her the previous basketball season. Kate and Montgomery were destined to dislike each other, being in love with the same woman and all, but were civil, so as to not make Olivia upset.

"Good to see you too." Kate waved an awkward goodbye and retreated back to her car in defeat. Montgomery glanced to her right, letting her disdain take over. "Why was Kate over at your place?"

"She just came to say hi. I swear she was only there for like two minutes."

"Mhm." Montgomery responded dryly. She protectively placed her right hand just above Olivia's left knee, holding her tight as she drove away.

@tatum

@tatum.olivia

liked by lexie.brooks and 3,053 others

💖

- comments on this post have been disabled -

author speaks

i created montgomery
and i already hate her

-saralancesbae

*NOT PROOFREAD*