|ii. sleepless nights|

KATE

KATE

narrative

august 19th, 2023

"I'm going through it, Cait." Kate dropped onto Caitlin's bed, the latter with her eyes shut and her arms clinging onto her pillow.

"We just got off an eight hour flight. We have practice tomorrow. Why aren't you sleeping?" She groaned, not lifting her head off the pillow and only opening her eyes slightly.

"Because I just found out Monty and Liv are dating."

"I'm sorry, what?" Caitlin's eyes went wide, and in the matter of a second, she was sitting up and listening intently to her best friend.

"I stopped by Liv's house, asked her to hang out, and she said, and I quote 'Oh, well, actually, Monty's taking me out.' I may just throw myself out of a window." She said, still in disbelief.

"How long have they been dating?"

"Two fucking months."

"Okay, I know you're upset, but I want to say something to you without you getting angry at me."

"Okay."

"You realize none of this would have happened if you just listened to me, and Mon, and Kenna, and literally everybody else on the face of the Earth?"

"Yes." Kate nodded just before pressing a pillow to her face and screaming into it.

Everybody that knew Kate knew how she felt about Olivia. She didn't go around shouting it off of rooftops, but it was so obvious in the way that she acted. The way she always looked for Olivia first after a game. The way that she would always grasp for her hand when they were near each other. The way she would look at Olivia when she wasn't looking. Everybody knew how she felt. Everybody except for Olivia.

"Go to sleep, Kate." Caitlin muttered, slowly falling back into the same position she was in when Kate arrived. "We have practice tomorrow."

XXX

Kate couldn't sleep. Caitlin's words stuck with her.

"You realize none of this would have happened if you just listened to me, and Mon, and Kenna, and literally everybody else on the face of the Earth?"

Caitlin wasn't wrong. Which was probably part of the reason that Kate couldn't sleep. So instead, at 10 PM, she was at Carver Hawkeye Arena, shooting a basketball until her arms felt numb. She hoped that everything would go away with every shot she took. But, it kind of felt like the opposite. Between the jet lag and the feelings Kate had today, practically none of her shots were falling. It came to a point where "Cool as a Cucumber Kate," as Sydney and Taylor liked to call her sometimes, was slamming an orange ball into the hardwood.

"Jesus, who hurt you?"

Kate jumped at the voice. It was late. Nobody should be here let alone Olivia. "Nobody." Kate responded dryly, putting another shot that fell short of the rim, and landed in Olivia's arms underneath the basket.

"Here, I'll rebound for you." She volunteered, setting down her purse before passing the ball back to Kate.

"Thanks." She gave the brunette a small smile. "Wait, weren't you out with Monty?"

"Yeah, uh, Monty has the big game tomorrow, so she went to hang out with the other soccer girls."

"And she didn't think to drop you off at your dorm?"

"She said it was just superstition." Olivia shrugged, catching Kate's rebound and passing it back to her. "I was just walking back to my dorm and saw your car in the lot."

"I'm still hung up on the fact that your girlfriend was willing to let you walk home, alone, in the dark just cause of some superstition." The blonde tried to calm herself down as much as possible. After all, this was still Olivia's girlfriend.

"It-it's fine really." Olivia muttered unconvincingly. "Soccer means a lot to her."

"But you should mean more." Kate retorted, catching her own rebound and finishing with a made layup. "Come on, I'm gonna go change and then I'll drive you back to your dorm."

"Thanks, Kate." Olivia smiled, wrapping herself around her friend's sweaty torso.

Kate's heart damn near melted at the sudden contact. "Anytime, Liv."

author speaks

kate is just so...UGHHHH

double double v maryland
today too they scared me

but they pulled out the win

-saralancesbae