Chapter 40

Over the next few weeks, Louise and Theodore settled into their new routine. Louise found work as a librarian in the nearby town, and Theodore started attending a small school where he quickly made friends. In the evenings, they would return home to cook dinner together, play games, and read stories by the fireplace.

Louise's thoughts drifted as she gazed blankly out the fogged-up window of her humble cottage kitchen. It had been several long weeks since she was forced to flee from Sebastian's side at grand Wellington Manor, torn apart by the cruel ultimatum of his unforgiving father. She missed Sebastian terribly - his gentle, comforting voice, his strong yet tender embrace that made her feel like the most treasured woman in the world. Though leaving had broken her heart, she knew it was the only choice. A future together simply was not meant to be for them.

Her mind turned to young Katherine; she had grown so fond of during her time at the manor. Louise wondered how Katherine was adjusting and whether Lady Marianne was finally treating her with the affection of a true mother rather than an unwanted burden. She also pondered if the tension between Lady Marianne and Lady Cordelia had eased, or if it still lingered beneath the surface. Louise hoped beyond hope that Lady Marianne's cold heart had at last melted towards Katherine.

A small sigh escaped Louise's lips as she glanced over at the dying embers in the fireplace where young Theodore was curled up fast asleep, his chest slowly rising and falling in the rhythm of peaceful slumber. Louise was filled with renewed purpose caring for this innocent boy, determined to shelter him from the manipulation and unkindness she herself had endured over the years.

The next morning, after safely dropping Theodore off at his lessons in town, Louise was walking back down the winding dirt lane leading to their cozy stone cottage, lost in bittersweet memories. She failed to notice the figure lingering by her front gate until a small gasp of surprise escaped her lips, causing the figure to spin around, revealing none other than Lady Marianne herself.

"Lady Marianne?" Louise blurted out, shock and confusion etching her features. Alarm coursed through her veins as she took a step back, instinctively trying to put distance between herself and the woman who had been such a source of torment in her past.

Lady Marianne, dressed in expensive green silks, standing on her humble doorstep as though she belonged there. Before Louise could demand an explanation, Lady Marianne inclined her head in a surprisingly gracious greeting.

"Miss Louise," she began, her voice formal yet gentle. "I understand my unannounced presence here must be quite startling. But I come bearing no ill will or harsh words. If you would permit me just a few moments of your time, I believe what I must reveal concerns us both rather deeply."

Though confused and wary, Louise searched Lady Marianne's eyes for any hint of malice or deceit. Finding none, she slowly nodded her consent. Louise wordlessly stepped back and unlocked the creaking garden gate, ushering Wellington's most distinguished guest inside.

Louise watched Lady Marianne carefully as she gracefully gathered her skirts and followed her inside the cottage. The room was modestly furnished, with a small table in the centre and a worn rug in front of the fireplace. Theodore's toys were scattered about, evidence of his recent playtime. As Lady Marianne took a seat on the settee, Louise sat opposite her, feeling a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

"I must request that you kindly state your business plainly so I may return to my duties," Louise said, her voice firm but polite. She knew better than to let down her guard around Lady Marianne, despite the unexpected cordiality. She had no wish to engage in small talk or pleasantries with the heiress who had treated her so undeservedly foul during her time at Wellington.