Ch. 6 Kayce:

Ch. 6 Kayce:

I had been staring out the window for the past few hours at the tree line, not saying anything to anyone. When I texted John, he said that he told the young wolf, Aspen, to hurry up and get back over to his pack. John told me that Aspen was fast and had made it to the Wolfblood pack in under three hours, which is very impressive – I don't think any of the warriors in my pack could do that (which is saying something, since my pack has a reputation as one of the strongest in North America). I knew it would take a little longer now that he had the girls with him, but I still hoped it would be quick.

I finally stood up and stretched my legs, figuring that I should get something to eat when I felt like I had been slammed in the chest. I actually fell backwards, smashing into a lamp which shattered just in time for me to feel something snap inside of me, making me cry out loud. Carter burst into the room just in time to see my panic-stricken face watch one of the bands around my wrist fade away.

Something was wrong. Very wrong, and it had something to do with my mate.

"Kayce, what's going on!?" Casper asked concern lacing his voice.

I didn't respond as I felt my eyes turn black, my wolf taking complete control. I only knew one thing at that moment: my mate was hurt, and she needed me.

"Mate!" I snarled at him, scrambling to my feet, Carter taking a step back in fear.

"Woah, Kayce, calm down, what's going on?" he said holding up his hands in submission.

I felt my alpha power radiate over me, making Carter cower, "MOVE."

Carter scurried away as fast as possible. I took no extra time to explain anything as I broke down the door and ran out onto the lawn. I hadn't even said anything to the guards, but they were already cowering in fear. I bolted off towards the forest, shifting fluidly into my ebony wolf without even slowing. What would have normally taken thirty minutes to get to the border of my pack took me less than ten, and both my border guards as well as John's were cowering in fear. I ran, and ran, and ran, with the only thought going through my mind was mate, mate, mate, mate. I was out of John's large pack in an hour, somehow not having run into any other wolves, and the border patrol from John's pack and the pack below his cowered in terror on the ground. Midway through the pack, I ran into a barrier of wolves including this pack's alpha, Alpha Logan (the Full Moon pack). They looked stand-offish. I let out a guttural growl that made even Alpha Logan cower, but I paid all of that no mind, continuing my run, following the pull. The broken thing inside of my chest was still throbbing.

I didn't slow down, crossing multiple other pack borders, until I got to the moonlight pack, where I didn't meet any border patrol as I entered. She was here, I could feel it. The pack's alpha, Alpha Terry of the Moonlight pack, came up to me when I reached town. I snarled at him, only thinking that he just was another obstacle between my mate and I.

He held his hands up in surrender before saying, "Calm down, shift back, I'll take you to her," which made me stop in confusion.

He knew why I was here?

Seeing my confused face he said, "Your beta, and Alpha John contacted me. Shift back, I have clothes."

With my heart still pounding and aching, I changed back and put the clothes he handed me on, "Where is she!"

"The pack hospital, I'll take you, don't worry, she isn't in any immediate danger," Terry said knowing exactly who I was talking about.

My body was itching to run, but I forced myself to follow Terry who was walking. I couldn't control myself when I actually stepped into the hospital; I could smell her. I ran through the hallway until I came to a door that I knew was hers, not hesitating to slam it open. There she was. Sleeping. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, with auburn hair, fair skin, and freckles. She could have looked peaceful, if not for her face which was puffed up as if she had been crying for hours on end.