Ch. 14 Kayce

Ch. 14 Kayce:

Beep. Beep. Beep.

That was the first thing I heard when I came to, and each beep slammed like a sledgehammer into my skull. The next thing I noticed was a hand on my arm. I opened my eyes to a bright light and Arlet's teary face looking over mine.

"Kayce?" she whispered to me, the sound echoing harshly around in my brain with the beeping noises, making me flinch.

She looked a little hurt at this and I immediately felt ba- well worse. I began to notice the other people in the room, Carter, Trent, a doctor, and even my mom (in a wheelchair), Rebecca and Dominic (I wish I had seen them meet Arlet). Then I saw the equipment around me and everything connected: I was in the pack hospital. 

"How are you feeling?" the doctor asked, the volume of her voice making everything go black for a second.

I clapped my hands over my ears, my joints feeling very stiff and sore, as I tried not to throw up. I could feel the wires and tubes attached to my arms pull against me.

"Sound," I whispered as softly as possible (my voice was very scratchy), trying to make them understand that the noise was killing me because by God I didn't want them to talk anymore.

They seemed to understand me because nobody said a word and all I could hear was the beeping and their breathing. The doctor frowned and walked out of the room after clearly mind-linking the rest of the room, her every step booming on the floor. As soon as she opened the door, I heard everything happening outside of the room, and the sounds didn't stop even after she closed the door again. She reappeared again after a minute or two (even though it seemed like an eternity to me) with a pair of earplugs. It was a good idea, but the process of putting them in and the noise it entailed almost made me pass out and - to my extreme embarrassment - did make me throw up. Once they were securely in, however, everything got much better.

"What's going on," I asked, everything going to a semi-normal volume.

"Well, you passed out in the middle of the woods," Carter said.

No shit Sherlock.

That was mean, my wolf said, scaring me.

"Yeah, I remember," I said, trying not to sound upset, but my head was starting to hurt again, "I meant how long have I been out and why did any of this happen?"

"Ummm," the doctor said, obviously nervous because of my tone, making me feel guilty yet again, "We ran all sorts of panels, but nothing has come up, so... umm we have no idea what's making you sick."

I involuntarily growled which made the doctor step back and cower a little bit. I needed to get control of my temper.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, "Great. Now how long have I been out?"

Carter took this one, "Two days," he said.

Two days?!! My pack has been entirely alphaless for two days?!  My eyes widened and despite the way I felt, I started to sit up. Arlet, who was still sitting next to me, tugged on my arm a little bit, tears in her eyes. I instantly felt bad... what has she been feeling the past two days? First her sister dies, then her mate passes out for two days?

Mate wants us to lay back down, we should lay back down, my wolf said, instantly wanting to please Arlet.

I know. I know, but we have stuff that needs to get done, I told him, continuing to sit up against Arlet's wishes.

Arlet turned and faced my mom who then looked at me. Oh no.

"Kayce Atlas Laurier, you lay back down, now," my mom said using her Luna voice and the mother-says-your-full-name power.