Four

The next morning, Aadya woke up a little too late and felt somewhat groggy.

"What do you want to eat?" she mumbled sleepily.

"First of all, get up and freshen up," Tanay chuckled. "We'll have Maggi or something. We have a party to attend in four hours."

"Huh?" That snapped her awake.

"Wake up," he said. "I'll go make Maggi."

It was 2 pm. The party was in four hours, and she hadn't even chosen an outfit.

In the next hour, Aadya got up, showered, and still hadn't found the right outfit.

"Are you done?" Tanay asked, stepping in with two plates of Maggi. "Oh my..."

Sarees were scattered everywhere.

"Sorry, I'll clean this up in a bit," she apologized, pushing a few sarees aside to make space for him on the bed.

"Why don't you eat first? It's going to get cold," Tanay suggested.

"Okay," she sighed and sat in front of him. Tanay surveyed the piles of sarees, contemplating how he could help her.

"What about that one?" he pointed. He heard a slurpy noise from her.

"Which one?" She looked where he was pointing. It was an ivory-colored, shimmery saree, but there was one problem. "It has a spaghetti-strapped blouse."

"Try it on," Tanay said. He didn't know what spaghetti straps meant. "I want to see."

"Okay," Aadya was happy. She didn't think he would be interested in what she was going to wear. As she got up, he stopped her.

"After eating, I mean."

After they finished eating, Aadya wore the saree.

She then turned around to show him.

Tanay was awestruck. "Wow," the words slipped from his mouth before he could think.

Aadya couldn't help but giggle at his reaction. "Is it good?"

"Yes. You look beautiful," Tanay smiled. "You're wearing that."

"Okay!" She grinned cheekily.

Aadya and Tanay reached the designated venue. There was a stage on one side of the large yard, adorned with flowers. On either side of the stage were two large screens projecting pictures of the bride and groom. A buffet was set up on one side, and chairs were arranged on the other.

Aadya and Tanay had brought a small gift for the couple on their way.

Aadya had left her hair loose down her back; her naturally wavy hair framed her face perfectly. She wore gold earrings and silver bangles, matching the color of her saree, and, of course, sindoor and mangalsutra.

Beside her, Tanay was in a brown suit with his hair gelled to perfection and his beard properly trimmed.

"It's all so beautiful," Aadya murmured in awe, looking around herself.

Their wedding wasn't as fancy as this party. It leaned more towards the traditional side. They didn't have a reception, just Sangeet, mehndi, and haldi one day, and the wedding the next.

"Yeah. Let's go meet them," Tanay said, pulling her towards the stage.

He let her climb the stairs first, helping a little with the pallu that caressed the floor whenever she walked.

"Aadya, this is Akhil, my colleague. We are in the same department, and his fiancée, Kriti, works in the legal department," Tanay introduced. He softly placed a hand on Aadya's lower back. "My wife, Aadya."