Fourteen

"What did you think when you saw me at our shaadi mandap?" Aadya asked curiously, searching for answers.

A soft smile graced Tanay's face.

"I thought you were really beautiful," he said, "and... I don't know. I was really nervous the whole time." He chuckled. "What about you?"

"I didn't really think anything. I was hyperventilating the whole time."

"Yeah, I had noticed you being a little shaky."

Aadya smiled. "What do you think of me now?"

"You're an extremely beautiful, adorable, lovely, talented, thoughtful girl with no sense of the difference between chaat, dessert, and dinner." He flicked her forehead.

"It was one time!" She exclaimed.

"Aadya, should I remind you that you had bhelpuri for dinner yesterday?"

"Okay, a couple of times..." She bit her lip.

"Your turn. What do you think of me now?"

"You're really handsome."

"Am I? You've never really told me before."

"You are! I drool over you all the time."

"You do!?"

"Yes!" She giggled. "You have a really kind heart, and you're the greenest flag I've ever seen."

"Flag?" He frowned. "Yeah, what was that thing about flags with maasi? I forgot to ask later."

"It's nothing..."

"Your laugh tells me otherwise."

---------------------------

The bell rang, but no one was picking up.

Aadya stared at her phone in disappointment. The doorknob rustled, and Tanay stepped in with a few grocery items she had asked for.

"Did you call them?" He asked, setting everything on the kitchen island.

"No one is picking up." She mumbled.

He walked into the bedroom and sat down next to her. "Try again."

She looked at him and pressed the call again with a sigh. He smiled and squeezed her shoulder.

"I'll make tea."

"Okay."

She was about to hang up, seeing no point in it, and just then, the call was picked up.

"Hello?"

Her mom. "H-Hello, maa. Namaste. It's me, A-Aadya."

"...Yes?."

"Um, how are you? How's everyone?" She winced.

"We're good. Everyone's alright. Did you need something?"

"Uh, yes. Um, is my brother home?"

"No, he's at the office."

"Then, bhabhi?"

"Okay." She heard her mom calling her sister-in-law.

"Hello?" Her bhabhi on the phone said. "How are you, didi? Is your health okay now?"

"Yeah, I'm good." Aadya smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good." She could hear her smile.

"Okay, in the cupboard there will be some of my documents. I'll send you the list; can you courier them, please?" Aadya looked at Tanay as he brought out the two cups.