EPILOGUE

TEN YEARS LATER

"Maa, he is ruining my hairstyle!" Five-year-old Tanvi called for help.

"Adi??" Aadya looked up from the sketchbook and frowned.

"Maa, I just wanted a closer look!" Three-year-old Aditya argued back.

"But you're removing the the strands outta my braids!"

"They just came off!"

Both of them whining, ran to her.

"Hey now," she sighed and turned to her son first, "Adi, be gentle about it, yeah? There's been put so much effort behind that hairstyle, no? She is obviously gonna feel bad if something ruins her hair."

"Yeah," Adi mumbled. "Sorry. I'll be gentle next time."

"It's okay." Tanvi smiled and patted her brother's head, softly.

"Come on, I'll redo it for you." Aadya helped Tanvi climb up on the table in front of her and did the hairstyle again.

"Good?" Aadya asked after she was done.

"Perfect!" Tanvi grinned and directly jumped off the table, giving Aadya a mini-heart attack. "Adi, look at my hair!!"

The doorknob rattled and Tanay stepped in.

"Hey, baby." He smiled at her.

Both the kids ran out rushing. Tanvi pulled the watch out of her pocket and shoved it into Tanay's face.

It was Tanay's old watch of which the belts had worn out. She carried it around with her without its belts like a pocket watch because...uh...pirates supposedly do that.

"You're twenty minutes late!"

Tanay squatted down in front of her and pouted. "Sorry love. There was a veryyy long line at the cake shop."

"Cake!?" Aditya shrieked. Tanay chuckled and handed him the bag.

It was New Year's Eve.

"Papa, you didn't see my hair!"

"Of course I did!" Tanay pulled her closer, "you look so pretty. Just like a princess."

"A pirate princess?" She giggled in his arms, squeezing and pulling on his cheeks.

"Just like a pirate princess." He laughed.

"Let's put that in the fridge before it goes all melty-melty," Aadya says to Aditya who had stars in his eyes as he looked at the cake.

"I don't like melty-melty." He scrunched up his nose. "Let's go."

Aadya opened the fridge door for him and he carefully put it in.

"Good job, baby." Aadya smiled when he was done. He grinned shyly.

"Maa, Noodle finally woke up! Look!" Aadya smiled at the ginger cat meowing and poured her food into her tray.

Two hours later, the kids changed into new clothes while the parents stayed casual. They all went to the terrace to watch the New Year fireworks.

Kids were excited like every year. Noodle the cat followed them as well.

"Can I sit on the railing?" Aditya questioned.

"We have two rules about the terrace: never go to the terrace uninformed and never sit on the railing and you will follow them till you turn 16 and the second rule for all life long." Aadya said firmly.

Tanay wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her in. "Strict hot mama."

"But look at Noodle!" Tanvi pointed to the cat who was casually sitting closer to the end and swinging her tail.

"Tanay, get her down." Aadya frowned.

Aadya took the cat from Tanay and narrowed her eyes at her, "You're not special okay? You follow the rules as well." Except her voice became high-pitched pitched and her words were followed by a kiss and a pet.

"Definitely special." Tanvi nodded, crossing her arms.

Tanay chuckled at her words while Adi was pouting. Boy just wanted a closer look at the city lights.

The kids played tag around the terrace, including the cat in their little game too while the parents watched from afar.

"Babies, it's time."

They all rushed to their parents. Tanay picked Tanvi in his arms and Aditya on his shoulders, his one arm wrapped around his wife.

"10"

"9"

"8"

"7"

"6"

"5"

"4"

"3"

"2"

"1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

The fireworks light up in the sky. All of them watched it, truly mesmerized. They cut the cake, ate, and then the kids fell asleep.

On their terrace, they had made a small arrangement. They had a swing and a couch with cushions. When the kids fell asleep, Tanay brought blankets from downstairs and also wine and glasses.

Laying the kids on the couch, they sat on the swing. Tanay poured the wine for both of them. Noodle jumped over and sat between them.

They then sipped on the wine together.

"Happy New Year, baby."

Ten years...

Eleven if you consider that one year as well.

Things had truly changed for them and couldn't be any better. They had everything they had planned for. A house, a bike, a pet, and finally the kids.

Not one but two. They truly were blessed.

Doctors had said there was still a mild risk in pregnancy and Tanay tried convincing Aadya against it but she was firm with her decision.

She wanted a baby. In her heart, she knew they were ready to have a child and she knew she could bear anything.

And by god's grace, the pregnancy passed by smoothly.

The day Tanvi was born was just amazing. Tanay's mom, dad, brother, and sister-in-law were there. And surprisingly enough, his parents seemed not so stuck up now.

The distance that had been put between them had made them realize something important.

"Let's go down," Aadya said, standing up. She stretched her hand out for Tanay who instead pulled her down with a jerk for a kiss.

"Mhm, let's go." He smiled against her lips.

There was no end to their love.

Aadya picked up Aditya in her arms and Tanay picked Tanvi. They laid them on their bed in their room and retired to theirs. The cat joined in the bed on the bed as well.

The next morning being a day off, everyone woke up late.

Aadya and Tanay were sipping on their chai when their son came out running with a shocked and surprised look on his face.

"Maa, papa!"

"Yeah?" Aadya smiled at him.

"I fell asleep on the couch up but!!! But!!"

"But?" Tanay raised his eyebrow, showing interest in his speech.

"I woke up in my bed!!"

"You did??" Aadya gasped in surprise.

"Yes! Magic, right????? Right??? Right??" He squealed and jumped around giggling.

"Yeah! Magic!!"

"So cool!" Tanay laughed behind his cup.

"Also," he walked to his mom and kissed her on the cheek, "good morning."

Tanvi stomped out with a serious look in her eyes.

"Guys, I think I have superpowers. I teleported in my sleep!"

"Oh my god." Aadya laughed with Tanay. "We have magical children."