•chapter 2•

A dimmed street that was eerily quite, was filled with bunch of ruckkets moments after a muffled scream... Footsteps rushing down the wet road could be heard along with some grumbles from mens.

***

The morning street was filled with busy marketing, little to few costumers roamed around while some stalls just opened and prepared their goods. Vei was weary because of last night's patrol. The chief had promised her double golds if she had done the job with no errors. Ofcourse, she had accepted the offer, not knowing that it would take her nights to finish. Vei sat at the edge of the dock, her footwear touching the water slightly. She gazed into the water shallows as it reflects her reflection. It had been two days after Mr. Hwang had given her the scroll, and possibly one day before the examination. She was no person to take stuff easily, so the past two days, she did try to return the stuff, but old man Hwang kept changing the subject making her forget what she was there for. Eventually, she gave up.

While in a daze, a presumed pebble hit Vei's head causing her to groan. She turned around and her eyes met a little kid's ones. She scoffed knowing those emerald eyes and knowing whom they belong to.

"Zheng Yemeng, You despicable brat!"
Vei stood up as soon as the child ran away giggling in the now busy streets. She chased him making sure she doesn't lose sight of him. After a while, she eventually caught the mischievous culprit, cupping his face in her palms while she crouch down to his level.
"You should not trow that to someone Yemeng, What if I got hurt?" She scolded the grinning boy.

"Calm down A-jie, jeez. It was only a pebble. The pebble is much smaller than your head. It would hurt you."
He teased her while his hands were hid behind him.
"Yemeng you-" Vei though for a while, she wanted to scold him, yet she doesn't need to because he had done this a few times before. He doesn't listen whenever she scolds him. Vei sighted instead and saved her scolding for another time.

She stood straight, her arms wrapped around her torso while she looked down on Yemeng who leached onto her ragged robes. Apologizing frantically. Vei finally budged and crouch back down. She wiped the dirt on Yemeng's head that he got from wiping his face on her robes.
"Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be at your residence?"
She patted his hair while his hands never left her robes.
".... Old man Hwang said you are attending an imperial exam tomorrow so I came to spend time with you before you go..."
His voice rhymed with a downcasted tone. Vei blinked twice before she got what he mean.

She slowly rubbed his cheeks, not able to contain her smile that started to form on her lips. "Not tomorrow, the day after tomorrow."
She reassured. Yemeng who was before looking gloomy, brighten up a bit. Vei was relieved that the young master didn't cry, or else it would alert some passers by. But her face soon turned into a frown.
"Yemeng, did you sneak out of your home again?"
The little boy nod. Vei groaned in distress, knowing well that there are probably gaurds on the way finding her now. "Yemeng.. how about this, since tomorrow is my final night before my trip, why don't we walk around the streets and do what you want?" Yemeng nod ecstatic, he nod vigorously while grinning. The grin passed to Vei as she also smiled.
"Than go back to your home, okay? I'll see you tomorrow. I'm sure gaurds are already sent by your nanny. Don't forget to ask permission, okay"
"Okay!" With that, Vei carried Yemeng and started jumping on the roofs till she reached the backyard of Zheng residence. She carefully let him down on the soft grass, her long arms reaching him down. Vei brought a finger to her lips and winked at him. He smiled at nod while bidding goodbye to his A-jie.

***

Walking around the robes shop, Vei tried to think of what appropriate things should she wear to the exam because her usual normal wear is ragged robes. She could care less about what the ladies in town said about her looking overly manly.

She carefully inspected the crane stiched dress that hang before her. It was simple, delicate but very beautiful. She thought about it, maybe this is the one? She took the dress and went towards the seller, who was a old man. "Mr. Gu, how much is for this one?" She held the set out. Gu inspected the dress before replying- "ten golden leafs." He said before sitting back down on his small stool. Vei gaped her mouth and dazed off for a few seconds before gaining back her consciousness. Her feature twitched while gulping. ".... Cant it be lower?.."
she asked, she was avoiding eye contact, not that she was embarrassed, she just felt burdened. The dress was fine silk, and the embroidery was delicate but simple, still catching to the eyes.

Mr. Gu stayed eyed, seeing that she was looking desperate to lower the prize. He sighted. He was a dying old man anyway. "3 golden leafs.". A gasp was heard from Vei, she wasted no time and automatically bowed.
"Thank you! Thank you so much!"
She got on her knees and thank the man, the costumer stared at them confused before going back to mind their own business. Mr. Gu reached his hands out and beckoned the now joyful lady Infront of him.

Vei had payed the dress off, adding one more golden leaf. she was surprised because she had witness majority of the costumer tried to bargain with the old man, but he never barges. But, she also did witness some kindness from him towards the costumers, well, again, some costumers. She was walking back to her inn with the dress in a small but flat box. She had tuck her pouch inside as well so she didn't need to show it off, and possibly attract pickpockets. She soon had arrived back to her inn. Originally, she would not go through the front door, instead, she would head from the window. But she was too tired and she had stuff ocupying her arms. She whined slightly seeing the owner at the front desk. But, surprisingly, today the owner was in a good mood. So Vei was saved from his scolding for rent payment. She quickly sprint towards her room, not pushing her luck.

Closing the door behind her while breathing slowly, she sighted in between. She'll have to skip patrolling today, seems like it. Because not even a second, she was laying on the thin cushion bed. Last night patrol, mixed with today's adventure, was gruesomely tiring. She closed her eyes while she started to drift to sleep, feeling the ray of sunset shining her skin.

***