•chapter 7•

The crown prince sat on his chair, his forehead resting on his palms while his disciple watch a serious Vei interrogating a scared looking palace maid. "I swear, lady Wen, I have never been in any kinds of intimate relationship with brother Yangge." A weary tone flashed in between her pleads. But the lady before her had a doubtful look. Vei, who stopped changing her posture now and than, sighted and resting her palms on her hips, the case was not progressing faster than she thought. She turned to look at Shijun and the prince, before turning back to face the two girls that were there the night it happened.
"How did you find the corpse?"
None of them dared to look up. Vei rubbed her wrist before going near them, she gave them a slight smile before reassuring that they can speak slowly. "We don't know.... When we were heading to find carriages to head back to the outer court, i tripped over the corpse...."
The room went silent. Vei knew that it was pointless to ask the other girl, so instead of wasting her breath she kept silent and stared on the ground thinking her next move.

Hours went by, no clue has been given. The victims founders and friends were dismissed. Shijun headed to the kitchen not to long ago to get tea for Vei and the crown prince. Ruwen sat on his chair, his gaze fixated on the disappointed black haired lady, who's attention's were completely on the papers.
"... Your highness"
Ruwen had stopped his gazing. He fixed his posture and replied.
"Mhn?"
"When you examined the corpse, do tell me, the clothes were wet but the body wasn't, right?"
He nod.
"So... How long does your highness think the the body was turned to corpse?"
"Not too long ago."
"Any markings? Sign of blood?"
"There was a open wound on the stomach, but there are no blood spilling"
Vei furrowed her brows. A dry corpse with wet clothes, and a open wound on the stomach but it wasn't bleeding.
"Did it look fresh?"
"Yes."
"Then someone must of cleaned the corpse, putting wet clothes on corpse can cause the corpse to not smell, and they cleaned the blood so it doesn't reek blood."
The prince hummed. He could feel himself relaxing through out the conversation, well, the lady was.
"I think visiting the funeral parlor is best."
Shijun recommended as he walked in the room with a tray of mint leaf tea, he sat the teacups for the two of them and filled them with tea. Vei slightly stared at the prince, trying to see his reaction whether he agrees or not.

Ruwen took his tea and drank it. His eyes never left the papers. He gave the cup to his disciple and Shijun filled it back up. "Tomorrow." Vei nod, she exchanged multiple happy stares with Shijun before drinking her tea to the brim.

***

The day had passed at it was now tomorrow. The prince had a carriage arrived to his residence so him and his 'asistant' would not have to walk all the way to the outer gate.
As the inner gate opens, Vei could see the streets already lively. Back at home, the streets are usually empty at this hour. She thought while staring in awe at kids when they waved at her. Shijun was still in his studies because his knowledge 'wasn't showing their best'. Whatever the prince said.
She looked back inside the carriage, Ruwen was sitting on the opposite side of her. His eyes creeped at the slightly cracked wall, looking outside. Vei found the situation awkward, she looked on the table between her and the prince filled with sweets and cuisine, now that she thought about it, the only thing that had went in her stomach yesterday was tea.
"Just eat it if you want"
She looked up at the prince who was still looking outside, she had an invisible downward smile and thanked him before devouring a salted egg moon-cake, savoring the salty ness.Soon the carriage had stopped infront of a building, a sign was held up, this must be it.
Vei was the first to head out with the help of the rider putting out his hands for her. The prince followed her inside silently while holding his sword. The place was eerily quiet, it reek corpse and dust. It was completely different from the outside.

"May I help you?"
A woman in rugged robes with an apron stepped infront of Vei's view, she had a cloth around the crown of her head and was sweating heavily. When she saw the prince beside Vei, she quickly bowed in advance. "Greetings, Crown prince Ruwen."
Vei excused her on his behalf,
"You must be the owner of the parlor." The lady was still in a bowed position, not wanting to meet the gaze of higher ups.
"No, I am a worker."
Vei hummed. She told the lady to stop bowing before asking her, "is there any new corpse that had just been delivered few days ago?"
"Yes, a corpse from the inner court. Fua Yungge."
She nod before asking another question, "is the corpse cleaned?"
"Yes, we have already cleaned the wound and the dirt off, however, we cannot allow any visitors inside."
"... Than will you elaborate the wound?"
The woman gave a stern look at Vei, Ruwen whom was towering both of the ladies decided to speak, "lady Wen is an official. She has been given orders from the emperor."
A panic look appear on the woman's face, she started fidgeting her fingers before replying, "well... When the body was first brought here.. it was completely clean other than the dirt on the robes, but.. if you weren't a doctor, you'd be trick if you saw the wound, it looks clean, but really, it's barely healing and it's new"
"Was there any ointment or herbal medicine that was found?"
"Yes, dragon shell"
Vei furrowed her brows,
"What's that?"
"An ointment higher ups use to make the wound appear old and healed. It's mainly used for girls if they have scars or wound on their body."
Ruwen replied to Vei's question. She hummed and thanked the lady before heading out of the parlor with the prince following her behind.