•Chapter 5•

Does this mean I passed?

Vei was lost in thoughs while the other eunuchs slowly gather at the middle of the hall, waiting for their turn to speak with the examiner.  Each time they whispered in the examiner's ear, the examiner gave the lady that was paired with the eunuch the same smile he had given Vei, and  that made her lost hope very quickly.
After the time had passed, all of the eunuch had left the hall carrying the book. From her side, she could hear the other ladies talking about how none of the questions were mentioned in the book. Majority of the ladies in the hall answered randomly. Vei sighted because she was glad she wasn't the only one misplaced. After seeing the minister lift the brush up from the scroll, the minister gave the scroll to the examiner. The old man's wrinkly hands grip in the paper, his smile was evident on his face.

He stood up from his chair, Shijun quickly walked up to him and helped him go down the stairs. The examiner thanked him and Shijun went back to his spot. The examiner cleard his throat before speaking, with a loud cracky voice, "before I announce the highest score, There is no need for anyone to quit because they didn't pass."
He grin.
He started to rank the ladies from ten, up to the top three. Vei gripped on her dress, awaiting her name, but she knew there is 0.1 percent that she would be up there.
"Rank 3, Fan Gunrou."
"Rank 2, Ren Kangan"
Vei slopped her posture and buried her face in her palms while her elbow rested on the table. Now she knew that she did not pass. She failed her promise to work hard and spoil Yemeng.

Vei's mind was filled with guilt, but a loud voice cleared them all.
"The 1st rank, Wen Veilu"
The examiner said, he looked at Vei with a gentle feature spread across the surface of his face. The ladies turned towards Vei with a gruesome look. The ladies beside her were even more surprised. Vei had a calm, yet astonished look in her eyes. Soon, all of the eunuch from earlier came inside, with boxes in their hands. But majority of the ladies that weren't called in the rank, were told that they didn't pass. The eunuch from earlier, gave Vei the box. Vei thanked the eunuch, all of her burdened carried away in a swift. She was glad, mostly taken aback because she was set as first place. The ladies who did not passed the exam, were looking at those who did with fury in their eyes. In some, Vei could feel disappoinment. And some, Vei could feel anger. But she chooses to ignore their emotions and focus on Shijun who congratulated her. Vei, Shijun, the prince and the examiner were now standing Infront of the entrance of the examination building. She smiled at the childish teenager, he looked young, but also looked older than the eunuch beside her at the exam. But prince Ruwen, the prince was a year older than her. He was 21, But his beauty and stunning features could demolish her reputation with a finger snap.
"Congratulations lady Wen! It's me Shijun, the boy you talked to? Oh, right, Wang Shijun."
Shijun chirped again. Vei gave him a simple nod in acknowledgement, but for some reason, the prince was staring at her with the most curiosity ever. His golden sunset Hue eyes pierced like a dragon. His skin was flawless and he was tall. His features were perfect and the clothes compliment his face. His hair  that was tied in a pony tail and his bangs gave his face a even shape. The was stunning.

Vei ignored the prince stare and turned to the examiner. She smiled gently, the examiner also smiled back.
"Lady Wen, may I know your age? For a smart young lady like you, I'm sure you will achieve every title."
He chuckled. Vei gave him a tiny smirk before answering. "Thank you, examiner. I just turned 20 this year."
Shijun had his eyes wide, a tint of red hit his face while the examiner face rested the same kind expression. "Really!? I thought you were the same age as me! Then I should call you Shi-jie!" He said, he nudged vei on the shoulders, but he was pulled back by the minister and the prince's glare. Vei cleard her throat, "really? How old are you?" Shijun smiled. "I'm 14
!" Vei gave him a frown. Do I look immature? She laughed nervously. "That's new, I never thought someone would mistake me being younger." Vei's face was placed with a frowning, smile.
The minister laughed. "This is also new, almost every person who were mistaken to be younger, would be flattered. You however, lady Wen, your expression is new." Shijun agreed. Vei laughed it off awkwardly.

"I am the crown prince disciple, you should visit his residence so we can play chess together when you have upgraded your rank-" Shijun started offering, he listed on what things she could do when her rank gets higher, but he was stopped again by the prince glaring at him. Shijun changed the subject and was about to talk about food when a loud scream could be heard. The high title, along with Vei exchanged a few looks before they headed towards the scene.

A corpse was laying in the ground, next to it were two girls who looked frightened at the sigh. Vei recognized them from the exam. She walked towards the girls and was about to comfort the them who looked younger than her, but Shijun went first. Vei scoffed quietly before deciding to check the corpse's body. She crouched down near the corpse, the corpse's clothes are wet, but the corpse skin looks dry. Vei wanted to inspect more, she reached her arms to touch the hands of the corpse. When her skin was just A skin contact away from the corpse, her hand was yanked away. She hardened her brows and was ready to ask the person. She turn her head towards them, her eyes met a striking sunset golden ones. The owners of the eyes also has furrowed their eyebrows, looking at her.
"Do not touch the corpse without gloves. You'll catch unwanted illness."
The prince said before removing his hand away. Vei rubbed her wrist, easing the pressure. She nod before stepping away. The prince, who wore black gloves, touched the corpse and inspected it himself. Vei stared at the corpse as it was being examined. Soon, Shijun, who went to find gaurds, came back. The gaurds carried the corpse to the medical building in the inner court. Vei stayed with the examiner and the two other males while the minister left after insisting the prince come with him to the medical centre but the prince denied. The two ladies left with them.

Vei's eyes never left the corpse as it was carried and slowly disappearing behind the buildings. She sighted heavily before speaking to the prince "my apologies, I almost touched the corpse. I forgot I wasn't wearing gloves anymore."
She said before bowing. Shijun beckoned her using his hands to stop her from bowing.
"Shi-jie"
He said cheekyly. "The prince was just-"
The prince hit Shijun from the back of his head, earning a groan from the younger disciple. "Wang Shijun. Did you finish your study?" He asked. Shijun's mood changed. He quickly excused himself before running away to somewhere else. The examiner watched the whole scene like it was apart of his daily life. "Lady Wen, do you usually wear gloves?"
The examiner asked. It was just the prince, the examiner and her left. And it was midnight. Vei could feel the wind brushing very coldly against her skin. "No, only on patrol" she scratched her head. "Patrol? Are you a guard?" The examiner asked. Vei quickly replied, thinking he got the wrong though. "No, I used to work as a police at my village. I solved some crimes but I was mostly chasing bandits." The examiner nod in acknowledgement. "So, do you know how to defend yourself?"
"Not really. I used to carry a dagger around. But I gave it away. So, I usually just try to shield myself instead" Vei replied, thinking that now the conversation had ended.
"How so?" The examiner asked again. Her smile twitched.

"I usually jump on buildings to avoid attacks."
Vei could sense the examiner was about to ask more questions, but the prince finally stepped in the conversation.
"It's getting late. It's dangerous at night." The examiner nod at the prince before sighting. "Ah, right.. lady Wen, could I ask you a final question?" Not wanting to sound rude, agreed.
"Will you help solve the incident?"
He asked, indicating the corpse. Vei and the prince looked at him surprised. The examiner and the prince awaited her answer. Vei who was getting tired by the second, she decided to accept it. "O....k.." the examiner smiled again. After a few more exchanging words, two carriage were called. The prince and the examiner used the other carriage, while Vei used the other one. The carriage brought Vei to a building, where the people who had taken the entrance exam's were staying.

Vei had thanked the rider before heading inside. When she entered the hallway, a paper was hanging at the middle of the wall to the opening hallway. Vei found her name and her room which is the first room. She sighted, greatfull that her room wasn't upstairs. She was about to head inside of the room, but a sound of pleasure could be heard on room two. Vei's expression turned sour. The sound of moaning was oddly loud. It seems someone sneaked a man and decided to have sex. She groaned. She unlocked the door to her room and purposely shut it roughly, making the moaning stop. She spent her night sleeping in the prepared bed with her sleeping robes that was given to her.

***