•Chapter 4•

The morning glaze of the sun shined the small Village. Not many were around since it was too early and cold. Vei looked around the village, she was remenincing the time she spent as a child. She carried the box along with her pouch that was still tucked inside the box. Her expression was calm, but her heart ached everytime she remembered Yemeng and Mr. Hwang. She swore that she would come visit them with gifts and goods, but right now, she has to pass the exam first.

Vei climbed on to the carriage after telling the rider where she would be going. She relaxed on the wooden platform, hugging the box tightly while resting her eyes. She wasn't tired, it's her eyes that's tired from crying. After what felt like hours, Vei was woken up by the rider.
"Lady Vei, you must be happy to have an opportunity like this, especially because you've just turned 20."
She said cheerfully. Vei hummed in response, her eyes still resting, only her ears were awake.
"Back in my days...."
The lady kept talking and talking, so long that Vei had to open her eyes now that her rest was ruined. She had decided to look out the window instead and hum everytime the lady asked a question.

It was already sunset, the horse stopped making Vei stick her head out of the window. She gazed around the town, many laughing, talking, arguments could be heard.
"Alright, We'll rest here for a while. "
The lady said. Vei frowned, she quickly got out the carriage with her belongings. "But... We have to get there before night, the exam is at night!" Vei argued. Earlier this lady was talking on how much she wouldn't let anyone miss this chance, now she is taking a stop? Vei though. She gritted her teeth when the lady payed no attention to her, as if she was a troublesome teen.

"Don't worry. Inner court is up ahead, we will arrive in no time. Just some bumpy muddy roads. Ah, yes, you have to also pass the outer court. But don't worry." Vei looked at the tire of the carriage. It was thin, and possibly small. The horse was even slower earlier and it even took a break to sit down on the road to eat. She didn't want to sound rude, but she needed to get there before night.
Vei eyed the lady who was cleaning the horses fur and feeding it in the process. "Uhm... Ma'am, with all respect, can I please go now?" Vei asked in a pleading tone. The rider than sighted. "Just go yourself than, if your so impatient. How will you become a official if your like this?" A hint of sarcasm was weaving through the woman's tone. Vei stared at her in a frowning, shock expression. She grit her teeth. How will she pass the  muddy road with her new dress? Yes. She is wearing the dress she bought. She thought nothing of this would happen, but she was wrong. She looked around and no carriages were to be seen around the area of the village they stopped at, but a few horses. Vei Walked towards the stable and the man beside it.
The man eyed her and smiled,
"Hello young lady, is there something I can help you with?"
Vei nod and smiled politely, she asked if she could buy the horse. The man looked at her with an unbelievable expression, he told her the horse cost five golden leafs, and she payed. The man was dumbfound while Vei took the saddle from him and adjusted it on the horse. The man helped her get on it, she sat sideways so her dress wouldn't look awkward.

Than, the horse started galloping towards the road the woman talked about. When she passed the woman, she made sure to lend her a glare before finally entering the woods.
A few minutes into the ride, Vei noticed that the sun was almost gone. She hurried the horse, not noticing the small splash of mud each time the horse steps.
When she arrived at what seemed like a gate, she headed inside because no gaurds stopped her, but she realized that she was dumb for not asking the gaurds where the inner court gate was. She slowed down the horse, now that she was in a busy area, she didn't want to accidentally stomp on someone. People didn't even pay mind to her, they were focused on their own stuff, calming Vei a bit. She looked around and saw a teenager who was wearing a elegant red, yet simple robe. She hurried her horse towards the boy, apologizing to the ones that made way for her. When she reached the boy, she noticed that he didn't notice she was Infront of him. "Uh, hey, hello?" She called out. Not wanting to be rude, she patted his shoulder gently. The boy spun his head towards her, at first, He looked calm, but when he looked closer at Vei, his eyes went wide. Vei stared at him confused, a mix of uncomfortableness was shown because the boy suddenly fixed his gaze. "Ah, yes?" He asked kindly. When he smiled, Vei felt like she had seen the smile before. Not in a love way, just coincidence way. Vei asked him the inner court's gates whereabouts. There was a change in the boys eyes for a second but it went back to normal. Vei didn't mind it and continue to look at him as thinks. "I'm heading there too. But I don't have a horse. Oh, I'm Shijun." He grinned. Something about shijun's grin made Vei weary.