chapter 24 "the hunting"

Damien's POV

I had been giving Ashley her space to slowly settle into pack life, especially after what happened with Veronica, I couldn't defend her as much as I wanted or it could risk the pack finding out.

The supreme council was still breathing down my neck about the whole situation which was infuriating.

Somewhere genuinely curious on her progress, and others, namely Micheal, just wanted a reason to accuse her of treasonous crimes, still adamant about her being executed.

She must have really done his reputation a number if he was this upset.

She did seem to be the most active in his territory, which might give away her main area of living, she definitely didn't grow up in my pack territory.

She had a noticeable slight accent, and she had clear European features.

I just couldn't place where and I'm sure she'd bite me if I asked.

I was working late in my study that night, just working on typical duties I had to uphold but also working out ideas and plans to gain her trust.

My wolf had been begging non stop to just hold her, run out scent all over her.

But that was out of the question until I knew she could defend herself against the pack and if she was capable of staying loyal here.

But I knew well enough her loyalty had to be earned, and that was going to take a while.

She seemed to have been settling in well, even making friends with her attendee Megan and Markus's mate ruby, she seemed to have managed to gain Ashley's trust slightly, especially by giving her necklace back.

Which might I add, I was quite jealous off, I hoped to give it to Ashley when I knew she wouldn't try to kill me with it.

Markus told me she liked to work out, that's something maybe we could bond over, maybe that's a point we could start off, despite how much I want to move this relationship forward I know I need to take it slow.

She's not a wolf, she's not the type to go as fast as we do.

And that one night stand only made things complicated in my mind, my wolf was going nuts at times when he really missed her, desired her touch.

Though I couldn't deny the feeling of dread I had sitting in my stomach, Ashley had spent so much time and effort avoiding me and pushing herself as far away from me as possible, it distressed me.

I had a bad feeling that at any moment she'd attempt to run, I wouldn't lose her again even if she managed to run.

Wolves liked to chase, and Ashley was my Greatest desire I would do anything to have.

A small part of me thought if she could actually get out it would be an achievement, a good trait of a Luna was the ability to get out of difficult situations, being resourceful and smart.

She was created as my equal and me as hers, and I know for a fact if I worked so hard to get her, she was definitely talented enough to run from me. She had already shown me her strength. I knew I shouldn't underestimate her by any means, but at the same time I didn't want her to feel like a prisoner.

I wanted her to feel safe here, this was her new home, I wanted her to know she could be herself here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was mindlessly writing on some documents with a fountain pen, I have always preferred them and they seemed to glide better than biro.

I was exhausted but sleeping was hard, I had Ashley be set in the room closest to mine on the floor just below so we could be close in a way, but it was still hard to sleep at night.