Guilty

CHAPTER ELEVEN 

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Kyle woke up in the middle of the night, his head hurt like hell. It was the fourth time already, he just couldn't sleep.

All he could think about was how now that he was sure that Stan was just like a fully conscious human, the prospect of opening him up and messing around with his organs felt even worse. Even though he hated the idea, he knew he had to, he was legally obligated to do so.

Even worse, how would Wendy react? She would never refuse to follow the bosses orders, especially such an important one.

In his mind, all he could see was Stan's face, every time he remembered the shapeshifter's smile it hurt even more. He could try and go against the other, but only the heavens knew what would happen to him then. The boss was not quite the fan of him already, and even thinking of the punishment that would be awaiting him gave him shivers down his spine.

He got up, he simply couldn't spend one more second in there, he had already memorized every word of Cartman's letter and every stain on the ceiling.

"If the individuals refuse to follow above indications they can and will be put under arrest for refusal of following governmental orders"

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Wendy woke up at 6:15 like she always did, she got herself ready for the day and went to straight to the lab.

She put on her lab coat and walked to take another look at her old notes, it seemed kinda stupid to be studying microorganisms when she had a full sized extraterrestrial creature right in front of her, but Kyle would not allow her to touch it for god's sake. She just wanted to go back home and let this whole stay behind.

Deep inside, she knew it was a huge mistake, that "it" probably was a conscious being with a family and friends just like her, who also just wanted to go home. It sunk a hole in her chest, but she couldn't let it get to her head. She had a job, she was going to do it Kyle wanting to or not.

The scientist just looked at the thing. If only it wasn't here her stupid job would take half the time. The E.T. Was laying on it's cell's floor with Kyle's coat over him, as if it was a blanket. Something in that made her skin crawl. She didn't have anything against Kyle of anything, she just wished he would act less with his heart and more with his head. Couldn't he see he would be getting they both in trouble?

Wendy just went to her table to go back to her protozoans, she would have to discuss that with Kyle later that day.

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

By the time Kyle made it to the lab it was 8 am already. He sighed, thinking of the time it took him to get up, he just couldn't get the motivation to deal with Wendy, especially with his awful night of sleep.

She was on her desk, looking at microscope. She didn't look at him when he walked in the room, so, he went tonais own desk to check the work he had done last night.

They stayed in an uncomfortable silence for like half an hour before Wendy took a deep breath and turned around to face him.

"We need to talk"

"It's about the Alien isn't it?" Kyle turned in her direction.

"Yes."

Kyle stayed silent, he looked very tired, internally regretting his awful night of 'sleep'.

"Look Kyle, I know you're worried about it being a conscious life form, but can we PLEASE just get this job done with? I really don't wanna go to jail."

Kyle refused to respond, looking at the floor with opaque eyes.

"I'm gonna be very straight forward with you. If you don't agree to help me, I'm going to just do it by myself and out your name on the finial documentation."

"YOU CAN'T DO THAT"

"WELL, WE CANNOT REFUSE TO DO MR CARTMAN'S FUCKING ORDERS EITHER."

"ITS...it's different, alright?"

"No, it not 'alright'. Why are you so insistent about it anyway??"

"Because he clearly is conscious."

"I'm sorry 'HE'? Did you just decide it's gender?"

"I DIDN'T, OKAY? It's complicated." He looked at Stan's cage, where he calmly slept, with no worries to be seen. Kyle wondered if he would tell his coworker the truth. He would have to discuss that with Stan later, when he had a chance.

"YOU KNOW WHAT? FINE. YOU HAVE ONE WEEK, KYLE."

"Wait what."

"You have one week to prove me that this little fuck is worth fighting for, you got that?"

"...Okay."