[ eight ] chūnin exam. [pt. 3]

SPENDING TIME with Kazuki in an enclosed space was torturous. Natsumi could feel her braincells dying with every passing moment and Kiyoko wasn't sure how he kept breaking her meditative concentration, but he did. The sun had gone down and they were still hiding out in the bush and the three desperately wanted to move. 

"We should move, are there any teams nearby that we could monitor?" Kiyoko asked tiredly, her senses semi-closed off now. Her boredom mixed in with the fact she couldn't concentrate made it rather difficult for her to take notice of her senses and the teams she once felt have gone fuzzy and feel like background noise.

Kazuki perked up, still energetic, "there's one that I've been keeping an eye on, I think it's that Gai's team that we talked about before, one of them had a strange chakra signal,"

"Do you think they'll sense us?" Natsumi asked, laying her head on her forearms. Kazuki gave a half shrug as he put his forehead in the dirt. Kiyoko just gave him a strange look as he started moving his head side to side in the dirt, not wanting to know what his thought process was.

Kiyoko shook her head and hummed, "maybe, but we should be always ready for a fight anyways." Natsumi propped her head up on her palm thoughtfully, looking calmer than they had ever seen her.

"Speaking of a fight, there's a team approaching our left about 400 metres out, I don't think they know we're here though," Kazuki said, poking his head up. Dirt was smeared all over the boys forehead, the girls giving him a disgusted look as they process his words.

"Should we attack?" Natsumi whispered, her eyebrows furrowed. She didn't really need to whisper just yet, but one could never be too careful. Kiyoko closed her eyes and began preparing attracting nature energy, knowing that she would be needing it soon.

Kazuki shook his head, "no, their chakra's look like they're all warmed up for a fight, and we've been stationary for too long, I don't think we'd win,"

"Humility? That's new for you, Kazuki." Natsumi joked, nudging the boy who had been giving them brain rot all night.

Kiyoko sighed, "he's right though, our joints would be too stiff to fight properly," she turned her gaze to watch their surroundings, "after they get a safe distance away, we should move positions and do some stretching."

Right as Natsumi was about to speak, Kazuki slapped a hand over her mouth and brought a finger to his lips when Natsumi sent him an enraged look. Slowly pointing as the team they had just mentioned appeared in the clearing, chatting quietly before dashing away.

Kazuki kept his hand on Natsumi's mouth until he was sure they were gone and let out a breath, signalling that it was safe to talk. The trio got up, stretching painfully as they stood up after so long.

Natsumi grabbed Kazuki by the collar and yanked him close to her, "if you ever cover my mouth again, you're gonna end up with brain damage." Kazuki just whimpered and nodded in response.

"That was close though," Kiyoko said as she touched her toes, her body still feeling a bit sore. Natsumi let go of Kazuki's collar and agreed with Kiyoko, crossing her arms against her chest.

Kazuki cleared his throat, "I think Gai's team is resting, two of them aren't moving and the last one is patrolling the area."

"Now would be the time to strike then?" Natsumi enquired, fighting back a yawn. Kiyoko just pointed at her accusingly as she yawned as well, blaming Natsumi for making her do it.

"It would catch them by surprise, that's for sure," Kazuki nodded, before snapping his fingers and turning to Kiyoko, "oh, I forgot to mention but Namikaze-san's entire team in participating, Hatake Kakashi hadn't been promoted yet like I thought."