Chapter 18: Grief

Sleep was not with you this night, the soft songs of the crickets that once eased you to sleep now annoyed you with their endless chirping. You lift your arm and play with the chain, the sound of the metal brushing with each other somehow eased you, out of curiosity you give the chain a gentle tug, it is still on, you let out a quiet hiss of pain as a small sting came to your wrist, putting your arm down you try to drift off to sleep once again, trying to ignore the sounds that were outside your tent.

In the morning you rub the sleep out of your eyes, you let out a grown not ready to start the day, but you know better, resisting the urge to just let the day go by, you leave your tent. For some reason, everything began to irritate you, from the sun shining in your eyes. To the dirt that was getting stuck in your hooves as you worked on the farm.

You hoped that eating with the Followers would set your sourer mood aside, disappointment set in when you see the followers in the same mood as you, you even had to stop a fight from starting between Gusion and Amdusias, even Almer and Fey seemed to have had it with each other.

If you had to guess it has to do with Lambert entering Silk Cradle, just like when he entered Anura and Anchordeep, with that thought in mind you became vigilant, your eyes lingering on the ground, waiting for that familiar black puddle to show up.

"ALMER!" that was Fey's voice, you whip behind you just in time to see Almer's hand picking out of the puddle, "no, not Almer, not again!" you reach Fey to calm them from their panic attack.

"Fey, calm down, it's just like any other time".

"You're right, they will come back, they have to" You and Fay wait there as they hold on to your arm, the wait was starting to become agonising, "(Y/N), where's Almer? It never takes this long". you see tears welling in Fey's eyes, but they are right, it is taking a long moment. "You don't think they" Fey could not finish their sentence as the sadness took over them.

"Fey, stay strong, we will figure it out!". You stay with Fey hoping Almer comes back, however, Lambert comes back to the Cult before Almer does.

You and Fey jog to Lambert, "Leader, where is Almer?" Lambert refused to talk, he only walked away with his eyes cast down, "No, they can't be!" Fey lost their composure; they cried heavily into your shoulder and hugged you for dear life. You knew of the romantic feelings Fey and Almer had for each other, you hugged them back trying your best to comfort them in such a hard time. They manage to calm down a little "I need some time alone" They sound broken and lost so you let them be to gather their thoughts.

Wanting answers on what happened in Silk Cradle you look for Lambert, he was hidden away in the temple with his head between his knees, you kneel in front of him.

"What have I done, (Y/N)?". You did not replay "I killed a follower". You let him continue. "It was so easy...I didn't hesitate" That confusion gave you fear, there had to be more to this so you stay silent "And I'm now scared that I can do it so easily, I'm scared that I'll become like them" his eyes glazed over but there was a hint of distress still in them.