Chapter 30: Spending Time With Famine

In the morning you feel that there is already so much to do, and you can already feel the toll on your body before you even begin.

You start your day at the graves, giving them respect and clearing off any leaves that fell on them. When you are about to go to the farm plots you are expected to still be alone, you would not be so shocked if it was Lambert, but he was out on a crusade, instead, you see Heket, she has her main consideration on the pumpkin patch.

You make your way to her, "Morning Heket", she looks up at you to acknowledge that you are there, you kneel down in front of her to harvest a pumpkin that looks ready, she slaps your paw away before you can do anything to it.

"......not.......ripe" You look back down at the pumpkin, it looks ready in your eyes, Heket then gently taps the pumpkin, ".....sound...not.........hollow" You are about to thank her for the tip but she begins to cough uncontrollably as she holds her throat in pain, you gently rub her back to ease her pain until her fit is gone.

"Try to not speak, alright?"

"..................." Her mouth keeps opening but no sound comes out no matter how hard she tries, she looks angry at her own state, not knowing how to calm her self-anger you suggest the first thing you can think of.

"There are still a few crops that need to be harvested, why don't you help me?" she looks to be thinking about it and gives an unenthusiastic nod.

Although you two did not say a word, the time together is nice, she also helps split the harvest so some can be by the cooking fire and the kitchen.

"Now, what should I cook?" the question is more to yourself, but Heket still hears you and picks up one of the pumpkins you picked up, something with Pumpkins? Got it" As you cook the meal you can already see Heket drooling.

The Followers start to line up to get their meal, you give Heket the first bowl, she waits for Leshy and they sit together to eat.

As you clean the bowls you notice that Heket is still having a hard time communicating and is appearing to be more irritated by the second, you quickly rush to your tent and pick up a book with black pages, it was gifted to you by a Follower who had no need of it.

"Hey Leshy, mind if I take Heket for a moment?"

"Aw, fine, I'll talk to you later sis sis!"

You lead Heket to a quiet area in the cult so the both of you will not be disturbed, you sit on the grass and Heket copies, you open the book to the first page.

"I have an idea on how you can talk to everyone."

She crosses are arms in suspicion.

"Alright, everyone but Leshy, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it."

You point to the open book.

"I was thinking we can make a sign language guide so you can communicate with others, the Followers might not know what you are saying at first, but we can teach them later on".

The two of you spend the whole day filling in the book with words, phrases, illustrations, and a few curses as demanded by Heket herself. During the next few days, the two of you would sit together adding some things to the book and practicing with each other.

________________________________________________________________________________

Quick A/N

As I was writing this chapter I was feeling under the weather, and I think you can tell nearing the end, I'm a busy person so I don't know when I will have the time to edit this chapter, I just really wanted to post a chapter before I get worse!

Have a Heket picture until I get better! (I have no idea how to draw her head...)

)