Chapter Three

Aurelia 

I weaved through the sea of students to reach my locker. 

Inside was a disorganized mess of textbooks and loose papers—I made a mental note to tidy it. 

"Aurelia!" Delaney smiled as she walked over to me. Her hazelnut brown hair was tied in a messy bun and she wore a white crop top with ripped jeans. 

Delaney and I met at the start of my freshman year of high school. It was the first day and I remember standing there awkwardly when she came up to me with a grin. 

I thought, 'Either this girl's lost or she's my spirit animal' and turns out, it was the latter. 

"Hey! You're here on time," I gasped. 

She laughed. "I know, right? Miracles do happen." 

"Oh yeah, for sure." 

"Ugh, I just realized that my science class is on the third floor. Catch you later?" 

"See ya," I said. 

I crammed everything into my backpack and shut the locker. My mind was racing with thoughts of all the upcoming tests and assignments when my phone rang. 

I found a quiet spot in the corner and answered it. "Hello?" I whispered. 

"Hey, am I speaking to one of Mr Driscoll's family members?" An adenoidal voice rang through the phone. 

"I'm - I'm his foster daughter," I replied. "I don't know any of his relatives." 

"I see. Well, this is Riverside Pittsburgh Hospital calling to let you know that he was admitted after being involved in a fight at the bar." 

A wave of panic washed over me. "Is he okay?" I quickly asked. 

"He'd been treated for his injuries but we would like to keep him overnight for observations. Are you able to come?" 

"Okay, thank you for letting me know. I'll be there as soon as I can." 

I immediately ran. 

-----

A/N

Every vote gives me so much motivation to write - I'm so thankful! Hope you guys are having a good day/night! :)