Chapter Five

Aurelia

There he stood, all six-foot-everything of him.

The intern quickly muttered a word of apology and scurried off, leaving the two of us alone.

His wavy dark brown hair was neatly styled and there was a hint of stubble on his defined jawline.

He exuded an air of confidence that was intimidating, but then his eyes had a gentle warmth, reflected in the depths of his gaze.

"It's you," he said under his breath. So he remembered me.

"Yeah. Thank you for stepping in, Dr..." I looked at his badge with the 'MD' sign. "Dr Giordano."

Maybe I botched the pronunciation because he laughed softly. "You can call me Cade."

I ended up following him to the cafeteria because he was headed there anyway. I went up to the counter where a cheerful lady stood.

"Hey, what would you like?" She asked with a smile.

"Hi, can I please get a meat pie?" I said, knowing it was Mr Driscoll's favorite.

"Of course," she replied, grabbing it from the food display counter. I took out some coins from the pockets of my hoodie and gave it to her.

Suddenly, I felt light-headed like I was going to faint, and instinctively gripped the counter, fingers white-knuckled as I struggled to maintain balance.

Cade, who had been waiting in line behind me, immediately came up beside me.

"What's up?" He asked with a scrutinizing gaze.

"N-nothing," I mumbled.

"Doesn't look like it," he said. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I j-just haven't eaten all day."

He turned to the lady. "I'd like to get a chicken sandwich with a bottle of water, please."

He paid before holding those out to me. "For me?" I asked, confused.

"For you," he nodded. "You should also eat too. Try not to skip meals, okay?"

"Okay," I replied softly. "Thank you-"

Before I could finish my sentence, he was gone.

-----

A/N

Hope you like this story so far! Please let me know what you think in the comments. Updates will be much more frequent from now on.