Chapter Eight

Cade 

The teen girl stood there, twisting the rings around her fingers anxiously. 

I bent down slightly to meet her gaze and offered her a warm smile, hoping to ease her nerves. 

Her brown hair cascaded down her back in waves, the shade of honey catching the light in a soft glow. Her big, doe-like eyes seemed to hold so many emotions within their depths. 

"You can talk to me," I said softly. 

"I-I just wanted to say thank you again," she said, her voice quivering ever so slightly like a leaf trembling in the autumn winds. "For helping me in the cafeteria yesterday." 

I could sense the sincerity in her words and it warmed my heart. "No problem," I replied. 

"Um, maybe I can pay you back," she muttered while reaching for the pockets of her jeans but I quickly stopped her. 

"You don't need to," I assured her, my tone gentle but firm. "Just take care of yourself, alright?" 

She nodded. "Alright." 

"What brings you to the hospital anyway?" I asked, switching the topic. 

"My foster parent was staying overnight," she replied. 

That piece of information surprised me. Her being an orphan in the foster care system made me wonder about the challenges she had to overcome without the support that most people take for granted. 

As if perfect timing, a man stomped over with a sling around his arm. He had a serious facial expression, and a round belly protruded slightly over his belt. 

"There you are," he said. "I've been looking all over the damn hospital for you." 

I don't miss the way she instantly tensed. "S-sorry," she mumbled. 

He turned towards me. "Apologies doctor if she has been giving you any trouble," he said. I opened my mouth to speak but before I could, he told the girl, "Come on, we're leaving." 

Then, they were gone. What a weird interaction. 

I didn't get a name, or any other information. I never thought I would see her again, but I couldn't be more wrong. 

----- 

A/N

How is everyone doing? This story is so close to 2k reads - I'm super excited. Thank you so much for being here!