05

You narrowed your eyebrows as you browsed the selection of snacks, unsure about what to get. From an array of savory potato chips and crispy strawberry wafers to sweet yet sour candies with fizzy, bright-colored soda drinks, it was hard to decide what to buy for your field trip tomorrow.

"What are you doing?" a voice from behind you asked, the melodic sound encompassing your ear. Turning around, you noticed the crimson-headed boy standing behind you. 

"Karma? Why are you here?"

"Nakamura texted me. 'Go to the convenience store, ASAP!'" Karma mocked, crossing his arms. "I can tell why now."

"In my defense, I did not know you were coming."

You had just left the mall after spending the afternoon shopping with Rio in preparation for tomorrow. Although she was a bit disappointed that you didn't join her group, she was still trying to set you up with Karma.

As the ticking convenience store clock hit 9 P.M., the skies were painted an inky black color, countless gleaming stars glistening in the night air. You turned your head to the sound of a bell jingling. The cloudy white shopping basket you held in your hands swayed in the brisk breeze as another customer entered the store.

"So, why have you been standing at one aisle for the past ten minutes?" the boy raised an eyebrow, looking down at your empty shopping basket.

"It was barely ten minutes! And I can't decide whether to get gummy worms or bears. Or both," you mumbled the last part, averting your eyes and crouching down to face the selection of junk food.

The boy hummed, sliding a hand in his pocket as he tried to find something. Pulling out a polished one hundred yen coin, he gestured it towards you, his eyes pensive. "If you can't make a decision, flip a coin."

"Yeah, but what if I regret the decis-"

"Not because of the side it lands on," Karma rolled his eyes.

"Then why?" you looked up, your gaze intertwining with Karma's as the sound of a jingling bell glinted through the air, a sudden breeze whisking your hair to one side.

He flipped the coin using his thumb, the metallic disk spiraling through the air. The coin made a slight sound as it circled around the floor. Tails.

As you took the coin, he replied. "For the brief moment it's in the air, you know which side you're hoping for."

Silence stained the room as the two of you kept eye contact. The subject seemed to be unusually serious compared to his typical teasing demeanor. 

"I'm gonna go now. Don't get kidnapped on your way home," he teased, breaking the tension in the air as he began to walk away. And so, the room felt quiet again.

❀*ೃ༄

"I get that Kyoto is four hours away, but did we really need to get here at 6 A.M.?" you complained, rubbing your eyes drowsily as you watched your classmates enter the familiar wooden classroom.

"Well, at least we get to make the best of our time there!" Kayano smiled, understanding your complaint.

"Don't tell me you're already tired. Who's gonna supply her snack addiction?" Karma interjected, pointing his thumb towards the green-haired girl.

"I'm not! I'll just sleep on the bus," you protested.

"Really? When you wake up, all the food you bought will be gone," he smirked.