chapter 21

"I have forgotten how horrible it is to do Pilates," Madelyn expressed through the phone. "My entire body is sore and I have signed up for another class tonight. How am I going to survive this, Ivy? I don't think I have enough energy left." her tone was desperate, but I knew she was exaggerating. She had a way of being dramatic, but it was always fun when she did it.

"Can't you just cancel it?" I asked, stating the obvious. Then stepped inside the place Chris Howard had recently shown me because their coffee had me hooked and I wanted to try everything they had on their menu.

Madelyn sighed. "I can, and I've thought about it, but I'll regret not going if I stay at home. Also, if I back out I have to take Jackson out for dinner, and I am not going to let him win."

"Sounds like you've made a bet?" I brought up. They had a habit of making those.

"Yes, we did! I have to go to Pilates twice a week for at least two months straight. If I succeed, he will take me to my favorite restaurant!"

"And what happens if you don't?" she wasn't only going to mention the good part to me.

"Well, If I fail, I'm the one taking him to his favorite place."

"Oh, you're definitely not going to let him win."

"Indeed I am not! I can't end up there because then we'll be eating oysters all night long. Just the thought almost makes me gag."

"Kinda brutal he wants you to go there knowing how much you hate oysters." I mentioned, and a soft laugh escaped my lips.

"I know, but he only does that to motivate me more. Perhaps we should see it as an act of love? All I know is that we're going to eat at my favorite place in a few months."

"Does he know that too?"

"I hope he does, because I ain't gonna lose." Madelyn was confident in winning the bet, and I knew she was going to win. She wasn't somebody who would back down if others doubted her abilities to complete a goal.

As the line was getting shorter, it was my time to order. "One iced coffee, please," I quickly said before paying for it. As the girl was preparing my drink, I went back to the conversation between Madelyn and I. "What did you ask me again?" she had said something when I was too busy getting my drink.

"I asked you what you are going to do this weekend. Anything fun planned with Jace?" she questioned me.

"We haven't made any plans yet," I brought up and then I sipped on my drink. I had exited the coffee place and was on my way back to the office.

"Ivy," Madelyn pronounced my name as if she wasn't agreeing with my answer.

"What?" I asked.

"Whenever we are on the phone and I ask you about your plans, you always respond in the same way. Are you and Jace even doing fun things together lately? Are you working during the weekend instead of allowing yourself to have a good time with your man?"

I knew Madelyn could be quite straightforward, but I hadn't expected her to say this. Thinking of the past few months, I realized I had informed her multiple times that we didn't have something planned.

"I'm not working and forgetting Jace," I assured her. I tried not to work on the weekends unless I had to use it as an excuse to escape family gatherings. Jace, on the other hand, had gotten less important lately. "We just decide what we are going to do on the day itself."

"Okay, okay," Madelyn replied. "I started to worry about you."

"Why would you worry, Maddie? Everything is fine." I lied.