Chapter 1: A Smile Tells All

What do you want more than anything in the world? What is truly the most important thing to have? ...And why don't you have it already?

I ask myself, and yet I could only answer but two of those questions. Another day simply goes by as I ponder, awaiting change and differences to the past. But no matter how long I wait, it all stays the same.

The cool breeze brushes against the leaves of the nearby trees, carrying away one or two of the fragile and thin stragglers along with it. The same breeze gently pushes against my purple fur, going around me and also through. I remain, unmoved and unfazed. My eyes rest upon the familiar faces of the posse before me, far yet not so distant at the same time. A few kick a soccer ball between those that are playing. One attempts to figure out which snack to consume. One sits by them and begins to paint what they see. Finally, one tries to simply look cool in hopes of the admiration of others.
All of them enjoy each other's company, laughing and talking amongst themselves.

I sit and watch them all, as my wide and unforgettable smile continues on. I remember when they asked me to join them, I thought. Though hesitant and followed upon by a nervous smile, each member of the group there has tried one time or another to ask if I'd like to hang out. I would always look them right in the eyes, unblinking, while theirs dilated ever so slightly. Of course, dear friend, I'd tell them. I'd be delighted to. They performed one mannerism or another. A drop of sweat may fall, or they might look away for a second before looking back at me. I remember a certain chicken sighing and looking creeped out in an irritated way before forcing a smile and simply dragging out a weak "Great."

Although I was invited, my company felt most unwanted. I would try out a few of the activities to not be so rude as to deny such a kind offer. And slowly but surely, I'd receive a few looks and hear a few common phrases. I'd like to stick around, but I forgot something I was supposed to do. I'll see you all later. I'm actually pretty busy, maybe we can do this again next time. Hey, I gotta go. I'll be back... sometime. The numbers dwindled as quickly as the time I had spent around them had passed.

Eventually, the invitations themselves stopped as well. It didn't take too long before none of them asked if I could make it to an event or gathering. Even just on a whim or a spontaneous moment they could all gather together to play and socialize, suddenly I was never asked any questions anymore. They stayed away, and they all showed how happy they were when I wasn't there.

Tragic, yes. But I don't hate any of them at all. And up until now, it's all become clear to me why this is happening. It must be me. It must be all my fault. Everything must entirely be because of who I am. A creep. A freak. A monster. Someone who isn't anything but too scary. All things I've overheard from them even though they admitted they've never "seen" me do anything supposedly awful. That is why I cannot fault them. If they all think that of me, then it must be true. I've seen what I look like. I may not fully understand, but I don't have to. It's already crystal clear. I do not belong.

The Smiling Critters are great friends. And I am not one of them. There is no other explanation. I was a fool to believe that I was any friend to them at all.

Well, I suppose that's not entirely true. I've neglected to consider one. The only one. The only one who still sees me. Who looks to me with a naive and trusting smile on his face. If anyone didn't make any sense amidst the group, it was him. He was different among the rest for still being by my side from time to time. With his floppy ears, optimistic voice, and bright personality, he constantly shines. Just thinking about him seems to spark a trail of stars in one's mind. You can't help but want to think more and more about him. He's intriguing in that way.

So while I merely forgot that there is someone who asks me a question or two in my pitiful state, I start to look around for him. As if almost on cue, I see a canine waving at me with a grin on his face as he quickly approaches me, running on two legs and panting. He stops just in front of me and looks down so that our eyes meet. His tail wags enthusiastically and unaware of the burdensome presence before him.