Chapter 3: Help from Above

Even an intelligent being can lack emotional clarity.

I begin to shift, feeling my "consciousness" returning to me. My right ear twitches a little and I slowly open an eye. I'm still tired... I think to myself. For a moment, it is still like my eyes are closed, because I cannot see at all. But that's when I understood. The first thing that awaited me from my slumber... was darkness.

My senses became more alert and aware. I begin to feel around beneath me, to find out what kind of ground I was sleeping on. It was a cold, damp, rough and solid stone. I blink my eyes until they adjust to what little light existed in this place. I still couldn't make out where I was, but the feeling is as familiar as it always has been. Just ahead of me is a recognizable form, laying in wait. A tall, gangly and decrepit creature, nearly as skinny as the bones it contains, looks at me from a few feet away.

I grumble to myself, narrowing my eyes at him.
It's always you, isn't it, I think aloud.

"A fair morning to you, o' foolish one," the deep and bone-chilling voice speaks.

I get up off of the ground and dust myself off, already feeling irritated. "Fair? I'd hardly call it that if I must have you within my sight," I reply.

"A rich, yet ironic statement, I must say. It is not entirely a pleasure to see you either." He responds, standing upon all four of his boney legs, his presence slowly encroaching my space.

"Then, what is stopping you from vanishing from here once and for all?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Ask yourself that question, and there might be even a slim chance you will find what you are looking for."

"How cryptic," I sigh. "Let me guess. You will continue to spout the same inane and utterly ridiculous critiques against my identity as you always have? Then why don't we cut to the chase?" I suggest, though it's more of a demand on my part.

"What else is there to say? You can see exactly what you were always meant to be," the slowly decaying figure speaks. "By now, it should have become all clear to you. Yet, you remain in ignorance to the facts."

I stare at him, unamused and particularly over these interactions. "Ignorance... or perhaps enlightenment?" I smirk at the thought.

"One who denies what is right in front of them could never hope to achieve 'enlightenment.' All that can be is all that there ever will be," His large, gaping smile never changes in the slightest. "Who are you to change the course ahead with your own will?"

"Normally, I would agree with you there," I start. "However, I've gained new insight and a hope to match it."

"A false hope begets far more hopelessness than having no hope at all," He mocks me, red smoke slowly creeping out of his mouth.

"By all means, call me whatever you wish," I stare at him sternly. "Though I am no fool for not believing the words of corruption. Therefore, I ask that you open your eyes and stop determining that I am foolish."

"You who divulges from the destined path, one who defies the very nature of his existence. Toiling away to strip himself of the foundation of his being. Why would I look to you and not immediately discount yourself as foolish?"

"But I am slowly learning. Though I am unaware of what I may truly be, one thing is certain. I am no monster. Unlike yourself," I state.

"Hehehe. Hahaha..." The gangly creature softly laughs in a low tone. "You and I are as much alike as the air we breathe. Two halves of the same whole. So why do you resist your understanding of the fear and power you can instill?"