Chapter 2: Friendly Advice

Even when you're awake, you might still forget that this is real.

I don't know how I managed to make it home last night, walking quite zombie-like and still baffled by the events prior, but I had made it back to my home-sweet-home one way or another. A tall, purple tower to call my own. Climbing the stairs that night did not exhaust me one bit as they normally would. As quickly, or perhaps unexpectedly and without a second thought as I got there, I found myself in bed, staring at the ceiling. My mind was running a marathon, playing back the entirety of our time by the waterfall. In the back of my mind, I pre-emptively figured that I might not be able to sleep at all that night, but thankfully I shut my eyes for one moment and find myself drifting off to a faraway sleep. My breathing steadied as I was no longer awake. Sleeping... and sleeping...

By the crack of dawn, the light from outside beamed through the tower window. Though, that alone is not enough to wake me, so I remained asleep for a while. ...And then an hour... and then two hours... I would be wrong in saying you could make a bad bet in me being capable of sleeping an entire day away. Luckily, I could feel my consciousness returning to me while there was still daylight out. My eyes open halfway, feeling the grogginess still coursing through my body. I sit up in bed, feeling a big yawn flowing out of my mouth and causing me to stretch out, my claws poking out of my paws for a moment as well to complete the stretch cycle.

I lazily blink and look towards the window. Staggering my way over there with low motivation to be fully awake, I look out of the window. A view of a majority of the area not fully covered by trees is a sight to behold. I could see one building in particular just fine. The home of the Smiling Critters. Though it is a residence to us all, we all have our own respective homes as well, should we choose to want peace and alone time. Still, the collective home was for us to enjoy our time together, live amongst ourselves, enjoy each other's company, and hang out all for the sake of fun and friendship. It's no wonder I haven't gone. I look upwards from there. The sun was halfway through the sky, so it was more of a telling sign that it was already lunch time. Good, I thought, an hour earlier from my usual schedule. The only reason I can consider being up and about at this time was because of last night's promise. What was it that Dogday said? Check the door to my tower once I'm awake?

I make my way downstairs and slowly open the door, flinching as the light attacks my eyes for a second. I step out a little and peer at the front of my door. There was something attached to it. A note. I grab the paper and read it to myself.

"Dear Catnap, hope you had a great sleep! Today's the day! We're gonna start your training to help you do all those things you mentioned before. Something about the way you talk and yadah yadah. Sorry, kinda forgot a few of the details, pal! Anyway, just come on by the Smiling Critters home! We also don't have to just work on those things, you know. We can just hang out! Either way, I'll be there whenever you're ready to start. See you soon!"

-Signed, Dogday

My eyes widen. He wants me to go... there? This may not be as pleasant or easy as I had hoped.

Feeling a bit worried by the thought of being anywhere near the others so soon, my ears flatten. I don't really know what I expected. Would we have done all of this whole "training" thing in the woods? By the waterfall? It's more realistic to believe he'd teach me over by the Smiling Critters home, I suppose. It's probably a lot more familiar and comforting for him. I shouldn't be selfish and ask him to do this anywhere else. I sigh.

Reluctantly, I drag my feet and slowly but surely head towards the building in question. Passing by numerous trees and walking on a stone path, a sight begins to show itself over the horizon. The orange and yellow house comes into view. It's very similar to Dogday's color scheme. Which should make a moderate amount of sense, seeing as it was his idea as the leader to have a place for everyone. If there's anything I've noticed about Dogday's relationship to the other Smiling Critters, it's that his ideas are rarely ever challenged. Everyone seems to agree with him without putting up so much as a struggle. Trust me when I say that it's harder to say no to the kind fellow. After all, how many excuses have I pulled from over the time that I've known him? You'll have a much easier time getting him to backdown than you will disagreeing with him.