Chapter 4: A Dog of a Day

Different perspectives, different answers.

When I woke up this morning, I immediately got to work. Everything has to be perfect! I thought. No better time than a bright and early morning. I hurry downstairs and find a nearby blank piece of paper. Let's see... what should I say? I begin to tap the eraser part of the pencil against my chin.

While I was busy thinking for minutes and minutes on end, eventually the others started to wake up before I had written a single word down. Various and differing yawns could be heard from each individual. Some went to the living room, but some ended up in the kitchen where I sat at the dining table trying to think.

"Oh. Good morning, Dogday," Crafty quietly speaks.

"Good morning, Crafty!" I say to her with a grin. "How'd you sleep?"

"Okay..." She answers meekly. "Um... I had a really fun dream," She smiles softly.

"Really? What was it about?" I ask, trying to listen but also trying to think about what to write.

"I had a really big canvas and a lot of paint supplies," she starts shyly. "T- There wasn't anything else around me. It was like a white room. And then I tried to paint on the canvas and i- it started to decorate the room with whatever I drew."

"Wow, that does sound really fun!" I giggle.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"Just trying to write a letter. Hmm..." I close my eyes and tilt my head, lost in thought.

"Maybe I could help..." She offers, but just then, a more outspoken individual waltzes on in.

"Hey hey, morning peeps," The yellow chicken greets. "You won't believe what an awesome dream I had."

"Oh. Good morning, Kickin," Crafty tries to speak up to acknowledge his greeting. "I- I had a really fun dream too-"

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway," he interjects, looking in my direction. "I was in a surfing contest and rode the biggest, gnarliest wave. Did a buncha cool tricks and won first prize, like, instantly."

"Wow, that sounds really cool, Kickin," I respond, but still mostly focusing on my blank piece of paper.

"I know, right?" Kickin says with a smug face. "It's almost like it was real, because, you know, I coulda done that in real life too."

"You could? Wow, that sounds really impressive," Crafty softly smiles.

"Yeah, of COURSE I could, Crafty. I'm not just some loser," Kickin sighs.

"I- I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that," Crafty apologizes.

The two banter on for a while. One continues to boast about his "amazing" skills and talents, and the other tries to follow along as she occasionally apologizes every time she questions if it's all true. But I'm still sitting there, trying to put some words onto a page.

"Huh? Hey, dog leader, what'cha got there?" Kickin finally asks as I'm using several kinds of thinking expressions.

"I just can't seem to think of the right thing to say..." I ponder and sigh.