1

“ this is Rosela my best friend. And Rose, my boyfriend and soon to be husband, Rafael” the woman smiled sweetly at the young man while extending her small hands to him.

“ it’s so nice to finally meet you Rafael” Rafael smiled as well and took her hand. The simple touch not only ignited the electricity of what they ought to share but also the fire that will burn the history of friendship, love and loyalty.

UNA

My dad died when I was eight.

"Tomorrow is your birthday, excited ka ba?" Papa asked me in a very sweet tone. Yes, tomorrow is my birthday! Excited na excited ako kasi sabi ni papa pupunta kaming disney land at matagal na promise niya yun.

"Mama bought you a dress? Wanna try it now?" tanong niya. Umiling ako. "Aww, bakit naman? Baka gustuhin ni mama makita kang suot yun. Ayaw mo?"

"Papa, it's for my birthday. Diba you told me that waiting is a good attitude to practice? Bukas ko iyon susuutin" sabi ko

He smiled at me so proudly and ruffled my hair in delight. "Nagmana ka talaga sa akin. Above everything"

"love yourself so that you can love others"dugtong ko

" Do you love yourself? " tumango ako.

" Very good. Tulog ka na. Maaga pa tayo bukas sa simbahan tapos tatravel pa tayo. Sleep tight my princess"
He kissed my forehead and bid goodbye. Turning the lights off and closing the door, he kept those smile on his face.

I fell asleep but woke up because I wanted to pee. I went out of my room and tiptoed my way to the bathroom. Pagkatapos ko sa banyo ay babalik na sana ako sa kwarto ko when I heard someone cried. The lights were all off pero may naririnig ako sa baba kaya pumunta ako sa hagdanan ko check if may tao ba.

Gising pa sila mama?

May kaunting ilaw kaya unti unti akong bumaba sa hagdanan. I saw my parents. They're arguing in low voice.
Ano ang pinag aawayan nila? Naiiyak ako. Hindi ako sanay na nag aaway sila.

I think papa saw me sa hagdanan. "Ally? Why are you up? Nananaginip ka ba?" tanong niya. He scooped me and patted my back.

"Are you fighting?"

"Hindi anak. We we're just talking"

Lies.

He whispered funny things on my ear that made me giggled. Those moments were my favorite.

My dad would tuck me to bed and sing me a lullaby or read me some stories so I could fall asleep again. Most of the time mama would do it pero this night was different. Okay lang, nandito naman si papa. He will take care of me when mama isn't around.

I fell asleep again and woke up with a bright smile. This is the day! I was so giddy. Agad kong tinungo ang pinto para makalabas ako.

The eerie silence of the hallway greeted me. Nasaan sila mama? Bumaba ako, sa pagaakalang nasa baba sila pero wala pa rin. I went out of the house and was on the verge of tears when I heard a happy birthday song behind me.

Papa bended on my level and kissed my forehead. "Happy Birthday my Princess"

Nilingon ko si mama na may hawak ng cake.  She went closer and greeted me a happy birthday.

"Are you okay mama?"

She was in tears. "Y-yes. Happy birthday A-anak"

I smiled widely and blew the candles. I then hugged them both. I was so happy. Bilang isang bata, walang mas hihigit pa sa kompleto at masayang pamilya. My papa raised me to be humble. To be understanding and contended. To see the positivity of things amidst the negativity. To be happy in the little things. To love myself so I could love them back.