Chapter 22: Adele's request

Shortly after Macy's birthday in March of the new year (another nightclub adventure for the two 'girls'), Adele approached Florian with a request.

"Florian, can I ask you something; I have to go to a formal dinner in two weeks' time. My father is a senior executive in a large company, the Gleeson Group, and he is in line for promotion to the position of Chief Finance Officer. His main rival is a man from outside of the company."

"Now, you have probably heard of Gleeson's, they are a diversified business with interests in banking, insurance, property, leasing and God knows what else. From what Dad tells me, they are an old-established firm and tend to hold onto traditional values, although they're not hidebound and do try to move with the times as well. Dad feels that while he has the inside running in the sense that he is there on the ground so to speak, the idea of bringing in new blood is also on the table; so it looks like being a close race."

Adele was being quite serious as she tried to explain the situation, and Florian was trying to reflect her tone, but Macy who was sitting with them, seemed unaffected by Adele's concerns and was grinning rather impishly.

"This dinner is being put on by the Chairman of the Board, a man by the name of George Baines. By all accounts, Mr Baines is a pretty sharp character, but with a somewhat conventional attitude, and he is a man who expects the senior management of the company to demonstrate qualities of propriety and probity at all times. There are to be ten people at the dinner: Mr and Mrs Baines, the two candidates, the wives of each candidate and another adult member with their partner from each family. Formal attire, that is, dinner suits and evening gowns is required."

Adele drew in her breath. "Now, obviously this is some sort of examination, perhaps even the 'final test', and we're quite worried because none of us has had any experience with such high-level formal dining."

"Normally, I'm sure that my elder brother and his wife would have made up our four, but they are expecting their second child any time soon, so I've got to do it."

Florian had been listening to Adele attentively, but a slightly amused expression had formed on his face. Adele went on, "And I need an escort. I don't know any other boys who might be suitable and I was wondering if any of you guys from the house would be able to help me out, and maybe provide some advice about the formal dining bit as well? I mean, we do know how to act properly, and won't do anything gross . . ."

"Like slurp the soup out of the bowl," put in Macy mischievously.

"Macy, behave," the other two said automatically, but it did lighten the mood.

Flori smiled with kind indulgence, "Relax, my dear Adele, I'm sure that we can help you. Now, Harold and I have had some experience with formal dining, Preston's had none that I'm aware of, but Bobba's definitely your man."

"Roberto????"

"Absolutely."