Chapter 5 - The Fire Born

Eve stood in awe of the Fire Born. Her pink dress was a beautiful hue to her already pink skin and hair. Her horns looking ever as intimidatingly as it had looked the first time. She stood at least a foot above Eve. Not that Eve was that tall. She peered down at the young eve. She put a hand out. Eve took it and she quickly bent low in a bow, while also kissing Eve's hand. She grinned as she stood tall again.

Eve stood froze to the spot. Her hand up she merely gawked at the beautiful woman.

"Ah, so you've introduced yourself." Julien's voice sent chills down her spine. Reminding her where she was.

The Fire Born shook her head and frowned.

"She knows better. Touch...don't speak. Good girl, Calypso." A woman only slightly taller than her walks up to them. The lovely Gwendolyn is in a gorgeous white dress that reminded Eve of Cinderella. If they died everything a magically white dress. It almost radianted energy. "Ah, Sire Julien. A pleasure...as always." Eve sensed a bit of disgust. "And you're young indentured. Truly as beautiful as the rumors said."

Eve looked down. Her face feeling hot.

"I heard you were meaning to find me." Gwendoyln

Eve sighed in relief. They had to find her. It had been hours of mingling about the party. Eve was getting anxious that she might never see the Fire Born called Calypso. Eve now wished she paid attention in middle school history were they went over some Greek mythology. All she knew was Hercules was strong. That's it. It made her feel even worse on the inside. The sinking knowledge, that perhaps they have nothing to talk about. What entailed a "playdate" anyways?

"You're wanting a playdate. The indentureds?" Gwendolyn gestured towards Calypso first, then Eve. "You know how often I get this question. If you want to fuck her, I refuse." She glared at Julien.

Julien, for his part, held his hands up. "Hey, I just want my indentured to be happy. Even dogs need playdates. If you really care that much though...she can visit your place. I'll stay completely out of it. Even send her with a guard as an escort."

Gwendolyn turned her head. She then eyed Eve. "Hmm. You always conveniently find the young ones. I wonder why that is."

"My mental advisor says it's...well shit what did he say. Ah! He said, 'one manifests his destiny.'" Julien shrugged. "I manifest beautiful, of age women."

"Hmm." Gwendolyn looked her over. "How old are you girl?"

Eve froze. She almost answered but then stopped herself. She turned to Julien.

"Good girl." Julien nodded, giving her a gently pat on the head. "Go ahead, answer her."

"Eighteen." Fifteen.

"No, you're not." Gwendolyn glared.

"I..." She looked to Julien for help.

"Oh, tell her the truth girl."

"Fifteen." Eve breathed out.

"Barely legal." Gwendolyn frowned. "Ventril Empire Priests would've taken that little thing if she arrived a few months earlier."

"Too bad." Julien grinned. "She's very trainable at this age."

"Too right." Gwendolyn turned her head. "She is special... I will admit. Calypso?"

She grinned and bowed to her master. "I would love this one."

"Fine." Gwendolyn sighed. "Now, leave me. Your face makes me weary. Send a guard to my house in a fortnight."

A fortnight! Eve screamed to herself.

"Why not tomorrow?" Julien said, seeing Eve's sad eyes.

"Quite the puppy dog eyes." Gwendolyn raised an eyebrow. "Fine. Tomorrow. But after that. She waits a fortnight. For me to decide how I feel about this. How..." She stops herself. "I'll mule it over. Say your goodbyes."

Eve held out her hand excitedly. Expecting this to me a formal occasion. Calypso closed the distance quick and picked her up in a twirl. Hugging her tight in her arms, Eve squeezed back. The tense muscles of the tall Fire Born. She then put Eve down gently. Getting down on one knee, she spoke and Eve's heart leapt ever faster. She sounded like an angel, almost hypnotic.

"Hello, indentured. I hope to be your friend." Calypso winked at her before standing.

"I...I..." Eve sputtered out.

"Does she not have a name?" Gwendolyn frowned.

"Unfortunately. She is..." Julien looked down. "She shares a name with the lady of the house."

"Oh." Gwendolyn's face softened. A small hint of sympathy. "What are you going to name her?"

"I don't quite know." Her frowned. "Any ideas."

Suddenly a loud bang from across the room sent the entire party into a silence. They looked to one of the catering tables. A woman collapsed and hit the floor. When she landed on her back, it was clear to see she had been stabbed eight times in the stomach. Blood began spreading everywhere.

Eve felt a rush of wind behind her. In a moment, she was wrapped up into someone's arms. She resisted until she felt a cold blade against her skin. She froze, stepping backward with the assailant.

"Let her go." Julien stepped forward. He reached for something under his jacket.

"Don't try it! Or the rest will kill-"

Eve flinched as she saw Julien move quickly. He threw the item from the pocket of his jacket. She heard a quick whoosh as a small grunt from behind her. The figure dropped the weapon and without looking back, Eve rushed to the arms of Julien. She heard the sickening thud of the body hitting the ground.

"Thank you, m-master." Eve cried out.

"No time." Julien comforted her. He hugged her for a moment before grabbing her hard by the arm. Turning towards Lady Gwendolyn, throwing Eve to her feet. "Gwendolyn. Get her out of here."

"I can help." Gwendolyn offered, helping the indentured to her feet.

Soon, more armed men were appearing in the crowd. Appearing in a quick cloud of smoke. They stabbed people from behind.

"I know." Julien grimaced. "But I want to make she sure she gets out of her safely." Julien gestured towards Eve.

"And your wife?"

He laughed. "They should be scared of her."

Eve looked around as more and more assailants started appearing out nowhere. She started breathing hard. This world didn't just have magic. It had powerful magic. Dangerous magic.

Julien held out his hand an sharp, delicate looking rapier was summoned from some other ethereal place. He saluted someone rushing him, in a quick motion her stabbed the would be killer in the eye.

Eve felt a pull of her arm, it was Calypso. She was leading her to the exit. Gwendolyn ran along with them. Eve's legs already felt tired. She was in no shape to be running around like this. Seeing her slowing pace, Calypso picked her up, cradling her in her arms. She kept up with the lady. Gwendolyn hand rushed forward, seemingly for no reason, until her hand wrapped itself around an arrow. Mere inches from Eve's legs.

"What...are you guys?" Eve whispers out.

Gwendolyn grins down at the girl. "There's a reason royalty is royalty."

The rush out to the stairs. The take quick, careful steps down a spiral staircase. All the way down not to the outside. But to the basement. Here someone stood in front of them. From behind them another teleported in.

Gwendolyn was no slouch. She held out her hands. Pointing them both at them, chest out she screamed and a burst of purple energy shot out of her hands. They connected to the face of these assailants. Their faces melted as they screamed to the ground before eventually dying.

Eve was in shock at the pure violence of it all.

"I know there is a saferoom down here. Come." Gwendolyn led them deeper into the basement. To safety.