Chapter 2

Polly was silent. She hadn't expected that answer. She now feels regret for bringing them up. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't-"

"No," Dolly interrupted, turning to Polly to give her a sad smile. "I don't mind. Let's get inside first."

Dolly walked to the door, and the man who drove them opened it for her. Polly followed after her.

The blonde would be greeted by a sight that made her feel as if she were in an art museum. They were all kinds of pictures. There were a couple pictures of the woods, one of a group of squirrels, a rabbit, and so on. Polly continued walking as she looked at the pictures in awe.

"You made all these?" Polly asked Dolly.

Dolly turns to her with a grin. "Yep. Everything you see here on these walls is the work of yours truly."

"You're really amazing," Polly smiled at her. She had never seen so much beautiful art one place in her entire life. Dolly really was the best artist in the world. The blonde couldn't take her eyes off all the pictures on the wall.

"So um," Dolly started, her hands behind her back. "About my parents."

"Oh...right..." Polly looked at her again. She knew Dolly had insisted on talking about them, but she didn't want her to feel uncomfortable.

"They died in a car wreck," Dolly said.

"A car accident?" Polly asked.

Dolly nodded. "It happened the same night I got this," she put a hand on the scar on her face. "We were driving at night. It was really peaceful." She wanted to smile at that part of the memory but she couldn't. "I was relaxing in the back while I was drawing. Then, out of nowhere, someone hits our car from behind."

Polly gasped. "Was the person in the other car drunk or something?"

Dolly shook her head. "I don't think so." She narrowed her eyes. "What they did was clearly on purpose. Our car fell off the road. They followed after us and sent our car on fire."

"They what?!" Polly was shocked to hear such a thing. Why on earth would someone run a family off the road and set their car on fire.

"That's how I got my scar," Dolly sighed. "The fire came in contact with my face. I still managed to get out of the car, but I was in pain, a lot of pain. I passed out and later woke up in a hospital. That's when they told me..." she trails off, tears starting to come to her eyes. "That's when they told me they were gone."

"Oh Dolly..." Polly walked over and wrapped her arms around the artist, pulling her into another hug. She wondered how people could be so cruel. How they could do something so horrible? She closed her eyes and said, "I lost my dad the night I got my scar too."

Dolly broke the hug and looked at her. "You did?"

Polly nodded as the memory came back to her. She looked up at the ceiling for a bit, her eyes going back to Dolly seconds later. "I was helping Mom make dinner in the kitchen, and Dad was watching TV in the other room. Before I knew it, I heard glass break and there were these guys in skeleton masks in the house. Dad tried to fight them off but they were too many of them. Mom went to get a gun but they got to her before she could."

Dolly listened as Polly continued, "I was able to get away for a bit. I went to my room and got a bat. I went back down and was able to get hit on one of them before a man held me down. That's when he poured acid on my face."

Dolly held a hand to her move. "What did they do to your parents?"

"I remember being knocked out right after I heard a gunshot," Polly said. "Next thing I know, I wake up in a hospital. My aunt, uncle, and cousin are there. My mom is in the room crying. She hugs me tightly. She tells me she's sorry. I ask, "Where's Dad? Is he okay?" Then she tells me that he had been shot...and that he was gone."