Chapter 9

Polly had set up a night with Dolly for their date and it had arrived. Polly looked at herself in the mirror as she took a couple of breaths.

"Knock knock," Summer said as she knocked on Polly's door before entering the room.

"Oh him, Mom," Polly said looking at her with a smile.

"Don't worry," Summer said, sitting on the bed, "You look great."

This was her daughter's first date, and with how much she liked Dolly, she knew that Polly wanted everything to be perfect.

Polly knew her mom was right but she couldn't help but look in the mirror again.

Summer put a hand on her shoulder. "You don't think Dolly is nervous too? I'm sure she is thinking the same as you in wanting your date to be perfect too but you can't overthink it. Your dad was the same way on our first date."

Polly looked at Summer. "He was?"

"Are you kidding?" Summer chuckled lightly. "He was practically a nervous wreck. He wanted the right dinner and the right movie. What he didn't know was the food could've tasted terrible and the movie could've been the worst I'd ever seen but it still would've been great. You know why? Because I was with him."

She continued, "It's great to put effort into your date. It shows you care, and really want to make the night special for the other person. But you have to keep in mind that all the person really wants is to spend time with you. That's what matters to them the most. That's exactly what I told your dad."

"Wow..." Polly said. "I had no idea."

"I have no doubt in my mind that's how Dolly feels as well," Summer assured her daughter with a smile. "As long as she's with you she's happy."

Polly smiled and wrapped her arms around Summer. "Thanks, Mom. You always know exactly what to say."

Summer chuckled. "I'm a mother. That's what I'm supposed to know.

"Polly?" Filbert walked into the room with a basket. "I finished putting the food in the basket."

Polly looked at him. "You didn't have to do that. I told you I would."

Filbert shook his head. "It's no problem. You needed time to get ready for you're date." He handed her the basket. "Have I told you how happy I am for you by the way?"

"I'm pretty sure you did," Polly said. A grin came to her face not long after. "Now I think it's about time you got one."

"My cooking is all the love I need thank you," Filbert said. "Now hurry, you don't wanna be late."

Summer looked at the clock. "Filbert's right. You have a date to get to."

Polly chuckled at the two of them. Part of her wished her dad was here to see this but she knew he was watching her and was no doubt happy for her. She put her mask on.

"Okay, I'm going," Polly said. "I'll tell you guys all about it when I get-"

The sound of knocking was heard causing Polly to stop. She went to the door and opened it.

Dolly was standing there with her own mask off and a smile on her face. "Hey Polly," she said. "I couldn't wait any longer."

Polly giggled a bit. "You too, huh?"

Dolly looked at the basket. "I see the food's all ready." Her eyes went to Filbert. "Thank you for that, Filbert."

"Like I said to Polly, it was no problem," Filbert smiled at the artist. "You two must go and have a good time."