Epilogue: "𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁, 𝙝𝙚𝙧."

"I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close."

- Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets

(Read chapter one before you read this

(Read chapter one before you read this. Thank you bebe.)

10 MONTHS AGO:

Fuck. I'm late.

Rubbing a tired hand down my face, I get out of bed and freshen up, not feeling like having breakfast. It's silent here, as it usually is. The coffee is warm enough as I sit on the kitchen stool, staring into an empty fucking space.

It's dark. Right, the blinds. I barely open them, anyways.

Kipp wanders around, pecking me on the head as I feed him. He finishes eating up and does something I wasn't sure he'd know how to do. Using his beak and newfound strength, he pulls on one side of the curtain, letting in a stream of light that makes me squint.

"What'd you do that for, huh?" I scoff, rubbing his back and giving him extra treats. I don't bother staying mesmerised at how illuminated the house seems and instead, I grab my coat and leave for work.

No damn point in loving something that won't last.

The ride to the joint is short and silent for the most part. I stop somewhere close to the local high school and pick up some soda for Rafael and Jan. God knows why they're drinking soda at seven in the morning.

Grabbing what they want, I place it on the counter along with the money. The cashier seems alert as she gets up and adjusts herself, her eyes scanning my form before she- Ah fuck, I avert my eyes instinctively, keeping them down until she finishes her job. Taking the plastic bag, I nod at the dejected woman before rushing out of there.

Sorry, lady, you probably deserve better.

The morning is unusually cold and the sun irritates the fuck out of me so I walk faster to get to my car, only stopping when I hear a meek voice.

"Please." I turn my head and take a step forward, towards the car. It's none of your damn business, get in the car and get to work, is what my mind tells me.

I sigh and turn, peeking into one of the corners on the sidewalk to find an old man with a cup in his hand.

There are soft footsteps ahead that tell me that someone just passed by.

I take out my wallet, sympathy nagging at my bitch of a heart. Fuck man, it's cold out here too and he's only wearing a thin coat. I make a mental note to buy some clothes and ask Raf to bring them over here.