Chapter Three

Text me the second that the plane lands and I'll come and get you. Be safe!

I clicked my phone on and off as I leaned my head against the headrest of my seat, my heart still racing from the turbulent landing that we'd had, one that had genuinely made my life flash before my eyes, which really feels like a sort of karma... I was terrified, death wasn't sweet.

Plus Bethany had squeezed my hand so tightly that my fingers had felt like they were going to fall off as we'd landed on the ground that I hoped wasn't icy... We were still now, waiting for the pilot to announce that we could deplane, and my heart was racing in my chest.

"So... I'm excited to meet Callie." Bethany said, and I grimaced and nodded.

That was a problem too - I hadn't exactly mentioned to Callie that Bethany was transferring with me... I'd meant to when we had hung out over winter break, but I was... Very preoccupied, and it's hard for me to remember little details when she's kissing me, her lips are just so soft that I lose my entire train of thought.

"Right... Yeah..." I trailed off, knowing for a fact that I was going to get hit for this... And that was fair, honestly, I would hit myself as well for this, communication is important.

"Eve." Beth's tone was very foreboding, and I grimaced, shifting away from her.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

"Hm?" My voice cracked as I felt her white hot, frustrated gaze on me.

Please have mercy on me. We're friends, don't kill me.

"You did tell Callie that I'm coming too, right?" She asked, and I grimaced, rubbing my hands on my thighs as I tried to think about how to tell her that no, I had not said that to Callie.

I'd really meant to, but we'd gotten busy doing other things... Many other things... When we were together, and our texts left little time to talk about anything except each other.

"About that-." She smacked me hard on the arm and I grimaced, rubbing the spot where she'd hit.

No, she was right to do that, I'd totally earned that... That was probably the wrong course of action.

"Evelyn!" She snapped, and I nodded... That was totally fair, but it didn't mean that her hit didn't hurt a little bit... She's stronger than she thinks, I know she didn't mean to smack me hard, but damn.

"I really meant to! I just... Was distracted a lot over break, and you weren't on my mind during the... DIstraction." I said carefully, seeing Bethany grimace as she shook her head, taking a deep breath as she did... Interesting response from someone who wanted to know the details the other day, right?

"Ew." She cleared her throat and nodded, seeming relieved that she was not the one who I was thinking about while having sex with Callie. "And good... But I feel shitty springing me being here on her." She sighed, and I patted my hand on her leg.

Callie would be fine with it.

"She won't mind, she's a sweetheart." Bethany grimaced, giving me a look. "I promise that she'll love you." I insisted, making her shaking her head... She could believe me, that was completely fine.

I'm a trustworthy person... I've literally only killed one person, that's someone who could be trusted.

"I don't know..." Bethany said, sounding like she was practically bathing in discomfort. I sighed, placing a hand on her arm as I gave her a look - Bethany was possibly the best person I'd met in San Diego, and I know Callie like the back of my hand.