Basketball Players at Chipotle

Kaylee Shores

Kaylee Shores

Today was my first day of my final year at UConn. I was kinda sad, even though I want college to be over with, I kinda wish I had more time here. I'm not a party person and I usually study on my weekends if I'm not visiting Rhode Island to see Jess, my girlfriend. So I guess I won't be missing too much when I leave.

My new apartment was nice. I lived with my cousin Destiny who was the complete opposite of me. She partied every weekend, never studied, always a mess, and had countless failed relationships. I still loved her with my whole heart though. She was the best cousin ever, and I kinda keep her together. She makes sure I don't overwork myself. So I guess we balance each other out. I'm not quite sure hows she's still passing her classes though.....

I grabbed my bag and laptop before heading out for my first class of senior year.

After my class it was around 4pm. Me and Destiny decided to get an early dinner together. Nothing fancy I mean, we are college students after all. We just went to Chipotle, our favorite place.

"HEYYY KAYLEEEEE" Destiny pulled me into a hug outside the door so tight I couldn't breathe.

"Hiii, it's almost like i didn't just see you a couple hours ago!" I said sarcastically. I didn't mean it though, she knew it too.

"Yeah well idc I still love you soooooo muchhhhhh" She said with a big smile. We opened the door and walked in. It wasn't too busy, just 3 other girls and a man with his daughter. Destiny tugged my shirt a little and motioned her head torwards the 3 girls.

"yo those girls are on the women's basketball team" she said in a whisper. I realized she was right, the girls were familiar. They were all sitting at a table eating. One was tall with yellow braids, another had 2 buns in, and another had a slick back pony tail. They were all wearing matching nike sets with the huskie on the front.

"Yeah your right, that's cool I've never seen them on campus before." I didn't know much about them but I knew they were pretty good and had a lot of attention from the media. There was one player on the team that I knew was really good i just didn't know her name.

Me and Destiny went up to order. I got my usual and so did she. We got our food and sat down when I got a notification from instagram.

"what's this?" it was from a girl I didn't follow or know. I opened it and what I read made my stomach drop. It read

'Hey girl I know you don't know me but I think we might both be dating Jess'

What the hell!? Who was this girl? I asked her what she meant and she explained it all to me. Destiny was sitting next me as this mystery girl sent me a paragraph explaining everything.

"Hey why don't you step outside and give Jess a call?" Destiny suggested. I decided to try because I didn't know to believe this random girl or not. I clicked onto Jess's contact and called her as I walked out, sitting outside of the Chipotle.

"Hey Jess sorry about the random call but I got a message from this girl on instagram."

"What's her name? What do you mean message? When? What did it say?" Ah. There it was. Maybe this mystery girl wasn't wrong.

"I think her name is Heather. Um she said that,"
My voice cracked a little bit. Was this all a stupid prank? Would Jess really do this to me? She knows what I've been through, "she said that you're dating both of us."

I threw my phone to the ground. Long story short, it was true. Jess had been dating me and Heather in secret. Heather lived in Rhode Island, so I guess Jess got sick of long distance. Now what was I supposed to do? My girlfriend of 3 years has been cheating on me for 2 years?

I sat outside of the Chipotle crying off my mascara. My tears forming little spots on the cement. I remembered Destiny was inside. I wanted to stay out here and cry but I needed to tell Destiny. I got up and walked back in.