Chapter 2 : Bakes and Cakes

SHIVANGI CHANDRAVANSHI

The Rajvansh's huh ?

It will be fun.

After the chief had broke that news to me, I immediately went out of the building and towards the cafe where I work at. I couldn't bear to lose focus right now.

My thoughts were spiralling out of control, images of that night were replaying in my mind like an endless loop.

Damn Shivangi have a grip on yourself.

Shaking my head, I headed straight towards the glass doors of Bakes&Cakes, the cafe where I work at, the bell above the door ringed as an indication that someone has entered the shop.

I was immediately greeted with the aroma of coffee and brownies.

"Hey sweetie, you are late!" yelled Mrs Mohini Singh, from her position behind the counter, a lady in her early fifties with dark brown hair, light brown eyes with a motherly aura around her.

I made my way towards her, after apologizing to the people who had their peace interrupted.

"Gosh, granny have a chill pil-" a smack at the back of my hand prevented me from completing my sentence.

"Who are calling a granny huh ? I still look young and beautiful." Mohini aunty exclaimed while dramatically flipping her hairs behind her shoulders.

"Of course. You are the absolute prettiest." I said while side hugging her which she returned with a warm hug of her own.

She really was the sweetest.

A mother figure.

I loved her to bits.

Letting go of each other, Mohini aunty patted my head and pushed me inside the kitchen where I was welcomed with a string of 'hellos' from everyone, returning their greeting with a smile I walked towards the sink to wash my hands.

Drying my hands in a towel, just when I was about to put on my apron and get to work, a tap on my shoulder halted my movements. I turned around to find Anika, a girl with short wavy hairs, hazel eyes and an amazing baker, looking at me with a slight hesitation.

"Um hey, are you okay ?" I asked with a slight smile.

"Yes, thank you for asking though. It's just that I had sprained my ankle this morning and in case you haven't noticed, I have been doing all of my work while sitting-" my eyes widened in realisation as I failed to notice how she was putting all of her weight onto her right foot.

I grabbed the stool, near to me, as quick as a heart beat and made her sit on it.

"Goodness Ani, are you crazy ? You could have called me over to you, right ? Oh god, are you okay ? Is it hurting alot ? Did you applied some medici-" my rambling was cut off with a giggle from her and I playfully narrowed my eyes at her in return.

"Pray tell me what do you find so funny ?" I asked with a fake serious tone.

"You" and she let out another giggle.

"Excuse me ?!" my dramatic self exclaimed with a hand on my chest pretending as if I was hurt by her words.

"You have wounded me deeply." I exhaled dramatically, she grabbed my face in her hands and squished my cheeks.

"You are so adorable. Although you are younger than me I feel as if you are my mom." I smiled at her words.

Anika was 2 years older than me and on our first meeting, strictly told me to not refer to her as 'Anika didi' because it made her feel old.