Chapter 9 - Responsibility

Bold: Time/Location
Italic: Character Thoughts/Internal Monologue
Underline: Author's Note(s)

Academy Cafeteria - James' POV

After a long day, I got changed into my modified academy uniform and made my way to the cafeteria to meet up with Cecilia like I promised this morning. When I reached the cafeteria, I noticed it was much more busy than it had been thus far. Various decoration and signage lined the areas around the booth I observed Cecilia, Mr. Orimura, and Ms. Shinonono seated at. While there was still room, I approached their table and greeted them. "Hello. I am here as agreed upon this morning Cecilia." She acknowledged my greeting with a warm smile and said "Hello James dear! Please, have the seat next to me!" I nodded in agreement and slid into the booth next to her. When I finished positioning myself, I thought for sure I caught Cecilia blushing in my peripheral vision. When I focused on Ichika and prepared to congratulate him for being given the class representative position, I was cut off by the sounds of some confetti party poppers followed by the students excitedly yelling "Riker! Congratulations on your inauguration as class rep!"

I could swear my heart stopped when I heard them say that I was given the position. I was speechless, my mouth agape. "No...no this can't be happening..." I complained in my head, filled with terror. Cecilia gently placing her hand on my shoulder broke my trance, I looked over to her in shock, but she looked pleased that I had been picked. "I...I thought Ichika was supposed to take it...?" I barely managed to get the words out. "Yes, but I felt simply dreadful for the way I acted before class the other day and I convinced Ms. Orimura to give the position to someone who deserves it." she clarified. Various cheers and affirmations of my worthiness to the position echoed from the students. I on the other hand was still trying to overcome the confusion, and the terror of being granted a leadership role again.

I had no time to process any of it as a flash from a camera taking my picture nearly blinded me. That was it. That was my breaking point. Standing up swiftly and grabbing the camera, I roared to the students "I DON'T WANT TO BE CLASS REP! GIVE IT TO ICHIKA, I WILL NOT BE BURDENED WITH THAT RESPONSIBILITY!" The room fell silent. No cheers, no gossip, just tense silence. I glared daggers at the student in glasses holding the camera, keeping my attention on her as I carelessly tossed the camera onto the desk nearly spilling the drinks on the table. "Hey! What is wrong with you?!" Houki asked angrily after the camera nearly hit her. I turned around faster than I've moved in a while and glared at her. My face was filled with enough rage that even Houki knew that I was beyond my limit. "BETWEEN HAVING THAT OAF NEARLY KILL ME AND CECILIA, AND BARELY SLEEPING, I WILL NOT HAVE THIS ROLE FORCED UPON ME!" I shut her down, pointing at Ichika for the first part of the rant. Ichika gave a look of offense and was about to make the mistake of responding, but Houki placed her hand in front of him silently telling him that it was a battle he couldn't win.

Breathing heavily, my eyes finally landed on Cecilia, who had visibly recoiled clearly terrified of me. Since I was next to her and significantly taller than her, I must've towered over her while I gave that speech. She had both hands over her mouth and her sparkling blue eyes were starting to fill with tears, and I realized then that it was her who got me put into this position. "She couldn't have known what I've been through, she was probably just trying to be nice." I told myself, deciding not to get angry at her. In that moment, despite all of the rage and memories surfacing, something in me felt horrible for making her react to me this way. I felt guilty. Settling down slightly with a deep breath out, I closed my eyes and silently retrieved my sunglasses, even though it was dark outside. I turned my back to my seated acquaintances and faced the crowd that had gathered, flicking my glasses and putting them over my eyes. All of them looked at me in fright from my very unusual outburst. "I've outstayed my welcome. I'll be leaving." I said in my normal tone of voice as if nothing had happened. The girls all stepped back from me as I walked through the path in the gathering of people they had made. "What...was that?" I heard one of the students quietly ask as I departed.

Unyielding Resolve - Cecilia Alcott x OCजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें