CHAPTER 6

Arabel's POV

My make-up is intentional.

After exfoliating my face and body in the bathroom, I spray rose water over my face before applying my face cream and make-up.

On a normal day, I would have applied light makeup but for no genuine reason, I take my time in beautifying myself today.

I don't want to think about Richard or what he will feel when he sees me today but I know I want him to see what he is missing.

I want him to know I am no longer the Arabel from four years ago who would nod meekly like a dove to everything she is being asked to do.

I am an independent woman.

The fact that he asked if I was married made me flare up in anger. Controlling my anger has become an impossible thing to do these days. I am sure he is suspecting that I am just pretending.

He asked if I was married to confirm his suspicions and I also feel he asked that simply because he wanted to know if my new status and identity was as a result of my re-marriage.

I really do not know why men take women who are financially independent for granted but assume there is a man's doing behind it all.
There is no man. Though, I plan to make him believe there is.

That way, he will get rid of his suspicions about me pretending to be someone else. I will make him believe I am indeed Bella Portillo and not the woman he married seven years ago.

Getting to know that my ex-husband is the CEO, I would have given up on this partnership if only this partnership wasn't one of my dreams. But I know it will take me to places I have been dreaming of.

I won't let Richard make me give up on my dreams. This is just business. Nothing more.

The ringing sound of my phone jerks me out of my reverie. With Daisy sleeping on my bed, I quickly grab the phone to pick up so she won't wake up from the loud sound.

Alex's name flashes across the screen and a smile leaves my mouth.

“Hey, I'm outside”, he shouts, making me hold the phone away from my ear for a second.

“Why the shout?” I scold him, getting up to pick up my purse.

“You don't want to be late for your first appointment, do you?” He retorts back sharply.

“I'm coming”, I say before disconnecting the phone and dropping it in my purse.

I walk towards the bed and peck Daisy's cheeks and giggle when she turns slightly before rushing out to call Anita, the nanny.

I didn't intend to come back to New York but the partnership forced me to. I thought of Richard the moment I saw the proposal but waved it away quickly as soon as it came, ensuring that our paths would never cross again.

Four years ago when we got divorced, I was so mad that I prayed so hard never to see him again. I was annoyed till the point of daydreaming about how I would hit him in the face if we ever met again.

But that was gone.

Though I am still enraged.

“Ma'am, sir Alex is waiting outside”, Anita almost bumps into me as I step into the large living room.

I nod at her. “Daisy is in the room sleeping. Take care of you two.”

With a wave, I smile and walk towards the exit grateful for having Alex. If he wasn't here, I would have had to stay in a hotel till I got myself a decent apartment for Daisy and me to live in for the main time before heading back to London.