CHAPTER 14

Arabel's POV

The moment I step out of the car, I feel his gaze on me. I look up immediately but I can't see him.

For a second, I think to myself that this is just one of my imaginations.

Richard would be busy by this time of the day, not slacking around watching me from somewhere. I guess his sudden visit to me yesterday brought about this impossible thought.

The more I think about it, the more I can't figure out what his intentions are. I am his ex.

Why does he want to relate with me now?

It was apparent he didn't like me so why does he want to keep showing up in my life and doing things to stop me from going ahead with my plan to pretend to be someone he doesn't know.

I know he has his doubts about me. More reasons why I am confused. His visit last night scared the shit out of me. The fact that he has been speaking with Daisy behind my back is even more scary.

All night, I couldn't sleep.

My eyes were wide open till the break of dawn when I had to take the available flight back to NY.

I almost missed my flight, making me think of his offer to bring us back to NY. I wouldn't have accepted, not in a million years.

He is someone I shouldn't relate with. Someone I can't get close to and that is what I intend to do. If not for my sake, then for Daisy's sake.

This is why I have come to a conclusion. The idea of a branch here in NY is totally over. I don't care about the amount of effort I have exerted into making this branch a success.

I can't do it. I should have known it wouldn't be possible from the very moment I got the offer from this company. I thought it was a way to achieve my dreams but now I doubt it.

Richard is in the picture already. The contract is one of the things I need, not only for the success of the NY branch but also for the success of other branches I would be opening in the future. I don't need to be here in NY.

There are other places I can go to. Letting go of the branch idea and signing the contract with Richard meant one thing; getting what I wanted halfway which meant not necessarily coming to New York like I was supposed to.

All I need to do is get the contract signed and go back to London. My workers will sort the others out.

His secretary meets me halfway with a shy smile, reminding me about what she did the other day.

It makes me feel a little guilty for being too harsh to her so I smile back genuinely.

“How are you doing?” I demand from her as she greets me politely.

“I am good, Mrs. Portillo. What about you?” She asks me too.

“I am fine, thank you.”

She signals to the direction of Richard's office and mutters. “The boss is waiting for you.”

I nod at her in appreciation as she leads the way. When we get to the door, she knocks on the door and opens it before his voice reaches out to us.

“Come in.”

Seeing Richard again brought back painful memories. The memories I thought I had buried and forgotten. They were back, as painful as a fresh wound. Everything that reminds me about him is back too.

Everything I used to admire about him. His hardworking nature, his personality, his aura, and his scent.

His voice.