CHAPTER ONE.

A PRACTICE OF OUR OWN

    PAIGE BUECKERS WAS UCONN'S STAR PLAYER. Standing at six foot, the blonde guard brought many victories to the women's basketball team with the help of her teammates and her own drive. Adored by many, the UConn women's basketball team would suffer a loss when Paige Bueckers tore her ACL in the August of 2022.

There were a lot of emotions surrounding the occurrence -- disappointment from the fans, worry amongst Buecker's teammates, and most of all, self-hate within herself. Paige spent many days rotting in her bed, negative thoughts inflicted upon herself plaguing her mind and the lingering pain in her knee piercing through her body every moment she dared to make a small action. Her days spent speaking with her doctors and physical therapists instead of being on the court practicing what she knew best felt like days wasted.

Paige needed an escape from the pain -- from it all. Even with the support of her teammates and friends that made sure to visit the girl any chance they got and uplift her with gifts and words of affirmations, she still felt dull and worthless. So, in the 2023-24 season, Paige found the escape she needed.

UConn's women's basketball team along with their other sports teams were welcoming new freshman that committed to the school after their successful plays in high school. When Quitéra B. Castillo, coming from a humble public school in North Carolina, committed to the school despite her many scholarships from schools like LSU and Iowa State, Geno was ecstatic along with the rest the coaching staff, even more after getting uprising freshman like KK Arnold, Qadence Samuels, Ashlynn Shade, and other players with extraordinary stats in high school.

And with Paige Bueckers on her journey to recovering from her injury, the Huskies were going to make a turning point with their new lineup of girls.

OCTOBER 2023 .

The first few practices of the new season were grueling and sweaty. That much was to be expected from Geno, the man never cut any slack for the girls, that's what made them so good. The heavy breathing of the girls and their shoes lazily squeaking across the gym floors echoed off the walls as they finally finished up their drills.

"Get some water!" Geno called.

The girls wasted no time to trudge their way over to the benches on the side, where Paige sat with a blank expression on her face, watching her teammates pant and sweat. Even though Bueckers had made it clear to the entire world that her injury was starting to get better, Geno still insisted that the girl take it easy -- in his words. Paige wanted nothing more than to get back on the court. She wanted to channel all of her aggression through the game, spill her passion out on the floor, shower in her glory. But she was stuck sitting in a singular warm spot on a freezing cold bench and examine how her teammates ruled the court together in practice.