the present

I  was greeting my  guests, thanking them for coming to my  birthday party, when my  big brother Jack pulled her away. "Mom and Dad want to see you in your room," he said, gripping my  arm. "Okay," I  replied.

I  entered my  room, which was bathed in a celestial hue. The walls were painted a deep, rich shade of Midnight Star Blue, which seemed to whisper secrets of the universe. The color was almost palpable, a velvety softness that enveloped her as she walked in. The furniture was upholstered in a slightly lighter shade.

My  parents were sitting on my  bed, and she joined them. "What did you want to talk about?" I  asked.

"We wanted to give you something," my  father replied, handing her a small, exquisite box crafted from rich dark wood. It was adorned with intricate carvings. I  took the box, opened it, and found a delicate silver necklace in the shape of a star. It was a work of art, with chains as fine as a whisper and tiny gemstones shimmering like tears of joy.

"Why are you giving me this?" I  asked, putting on the necklace.

"Rose, you're old enough to understand what the world is like," my  mother began. "From today on, how you see the world will be different."

"What are you trying to say?" I  asked.

"What your mother is saying is that we won't always be here to protect you," my father interrupted.

"I know," I  said.

"What your father is trying to say is that this necklace will protect you from the dangers that lurk out there in the world," my  mother added.

I  stood up, looking doubtful, and left the room. Outside, I  overheard my  brother talking to someone. "I want her," the man said. "Not yet," her brother replied. "You have a week to give her over," the man said.